Chapter Twenty One

Nathan

My world practically passed me by, as I sat there staring into nothingness. The smell of blood that clung to my nostrils was unbearable, but I didn't have the strength to move and wash away that coppery smell. It only reminded me of the reality even how hard scrub myself clean, no amount of water can wash away the blood that will forever stain my hands.

A child caught my attention. He was a young boy with a messy crown of curly black hair and a pair of wide brown eyes. He was wearing a hospital gown and his hands was bandage. He must have hurt his hands somewhere. But the more I stare at him, the more I noticed the cuts and bruises that are still red and raw. I smiled at him remebering those days my father used to treat my wounds because I tripped several times while I was playing on his grape plantation. I thought the child would smile back, but he didn't. His eyes watered and he began crying until he wailed. His father run to his side and crouched down to his eye level. He hushed his wailing son amd scope him up, walking away. The boy eventually stopped crying, he buried himself in his father's chest as they walked away.

Why do I notice this small things now? I used to ignore this before, even feel disgusted as the word 'father' crosses my mind. My father was selfish and arrogant. I hated him for deciding what was best for me and Arriane. Yet, here I am today doing exactly what I hated most about my father; selfish and arrogant. I became the worst father the world has ever seen.

"Señorito?" Martha's call dragged me back to my senses.

"Y-Yes?" Martha's face was grim. Her eyes was sad, mourning. I couldn't blame her. She was looking after Yufa and maybe she treated him like her own child just like how she did with us.

"S-Señorita Yufa is awake." She blurted out. Of course. How many hours had already passed since I brought her here? Two? Three? I lost count already.

While silently following the old woman, I couldn't shake the fear that still gnawed my insides. Every step I take becomes heavier thayn the other. I wanted to run, hide away my existence or vanish in this world. I cannot face anyone right now let alone Yufa. What will I say?

We reached the room that was assigned to Yufa faster than I thought it would be. My knees felt numb. Never have I imagined to cower at the sight of one simple door. Knowing that behind this door lies the greatest thing that will forever change our lives. Behind this door was a mother that awaits for a good news that she will never hear.

Martha opened the door and we came in. I shut the door behind me, as carefully as I can. The doctor was already at the base of Yufa's bed and the other three nurses, ready to break the news to all of us. Yufa sat on her bed leaning on a huge pillow while Arriane is sitting next to her, holding her hand. At the site of her hopeful eyes, bile rose to my throat making my mouth taste like ash, bitter ashes. I wanted to throw up the guilt that knocked my breath inside me. I ground my teeth against each other amd braced myself for the impending doom.

"I-Is my baby safe, Doctor?" Her voice croaked. Her eyes began glistening at the mention our baby.

The doctor remained stoic, staring at her. She is also having a hard time delivering the news. I can see her first balling at her side.

"Did he make it? Tell me he is alright, Doctor. I beg of you." Tears started to stream down her tiny face.

"Mrs. Polaveja.." The doctor cleared her throat. "I'm sorry." She blurted out.

"W-what do you mean by that?" Her eyes went wide, her brows creased as she inquired the doctor further. "W-what was that s-sorry for?"

"The baby didn't make it." She finally said.

At first there was a deafining silence. None of us dared to speak. The tension that hung insode the room was too too heavy for all of us. Arriane remained silent, staring at the poor doctor. Martha was covering her mouth, doing her best to cover her sobs.

"N-no." Came Yufa's small voice. "No, that's not true. Tell me this is just a dream. Tell me this is just a joke because I swear it's not funny." Arriane gripped her hand, comforting her through her warmth. But Yufa began pulling her hands and rested them on her empty belly.

"I wish I was, Mrs. Polaveja. But that's the truth...-"

"NO!" She screamed. "No! My baby is fine. Please tell me he is fine! My baby! Please."

"Your baby is gone, Madame. Your husband already knows it." At the mention of husband, her eyes fall sharply towards me. They usual warm looks she gave me was now replaced with sharp eyes laced with pure anger. I wanted to curl into a ball and roll away.

"You! What are you doing here? She whispered but to me, it seemed like she screamed it all to my face. "Get out of here! You hell-bent bastard! Get out of here!" She screamed, she thrashed. She was weak but her anger towards me was stronger that it gave her strength to move. Arriane tried to calm her down she was strong. The nurses came to her aid and together, they pinned her down to the bed.

She kept shouting, her sharp stares never leaving me. If she were free, I swear she would gut me right here and now. I deserve her anger and I doubt skinning me alive will be enough.

The other nurse injected something onto her. She kept struggling at first but later her movements became weaker, gradually until she became limp under their strong grips. She kept looking at me, her tears spoke everything for her. She can no longer fight the sedative and finally she closed her eyes. They sedated her to keep her from moving too much or to subdue her emotions. I highly doubt it would subdue it because I know, from this moment, she will hate me for the rest of her life.

***********************

A/n

Short, unedited chapter. Sorry for the grammatical errors.

Please vote, leave a comment and enjoy! 😘

---Maiah❤