Chapter Twenty Two

Nathan

I couldn't stomach the sight of her helpless body. I couldn't bear to look at her for another second so I get out of the room and seek for some fresh air. I wanted to create distance between myself and Yufa. Not to get rid of her, but to let herself calm down and rest for a while. Giving her time and space is the best thing I can do. The least thing that I can do after what she went through.

The sun was already peeking on the horizon. Yet, the sky was still a blanket of stars shining. The soft blowing of the air chilled me but somehow, I welcomed it's cool tendrils. I thought it would lighten up the weight on my chest but still, I felt heavy. I wonder if it will be like this forever.

"What did you do, Nathan?!" My heart leaped to my throat. I guess running away from problems was never my field.

Arriane came after me. If there is one person in this life that I could never hide myself from is definitely my sister. She can alway find the truth in me when she wants too. She always knew if I did something wrong. Her habit was forcing me to admit what I'd done wrong, letting me say it loud only for me to realize my mistake. I think she plans to the same thing to me now. I swear I'm not in the mood to discuss things right now.

"Leave me alone, Arriane." It's like telling a rock to walk away. I know she won't put this thing to rest until she knows the truth. The truth she already or somehow knew.

"No Nathan! Tell me the truth right here and right now! I won't be hearing anything save for what really happened to her!" She was furious.

I sat on the empty bench among all others. I buried my face on my palms thanking heavens that no one is around to hear my sister shrieking.

"I don't know." My mind was still full with the happenings and my heart is grieving. What good does telling her the truth brings me. It's more like sprinkling salt onto my fresh wounds.

"Nathan, I don't know what is going on with the two of you. What problems do you face at home or what both of hide beneath your masks. She kept on telling me you have been kind to her, that you don't have any problems. But hell, Nathan! I know you more than anyone else in this world. Not even Alana."

"Don't bring her name into this..." I balled my fist upon hearing her name once again.

"And why not? She is the reason behind all of this, isn't it? Do you think I don't know that you secretly hired people to look for her all this time?" She was quick to defend.

I was speechless. It took more than just an ounce of strength to keep myself from talking back to her. Seriously, this isn't the perfect time for this.

"She knows everything too, Nathan. I could see how hard she was struggling to keep your vows intact. Her eyes speaks volumes of it. I can see her pain through them and honestly, she doesn't deserve all of this. She doesn't deserve you." The last thing she said hit me the most. She don't deserve me, and in return I don't deserve her kindness or even her forgiveness.

"I understood then why she asked us to keep her pregnancy secret." Her voice drop down to a whisper.

My brows automatically creased. Kept it secret?

"What?" I looked up to her, searching her face.

"She was merely looking for a perfect time to tell you about your baby. But apparently, you are always out of town. I wonder why is that."

"You mean all of you knew about her pregnancy? And none of you dared to tell me anything when I should have the very rights to know it in the first place?!" Disbelief washed over me. None of this would be happening if only one of them dared to go against her wishes to keep it secret. Why? I wanted to break or hit something to vent my frustration.

"She just wanted to establish a good relationship between the two of you. Not as lovers, but as husband and wife. For the sake of your baby. For the sake of your family." She said.

"That's not the thing, Arriane!" I'm losing all control. I never raised my voice to her but today's an exception. How can they do this to me? "What I was saying was why did you keep it from me?! Why? Of all people, why does it have to be you that kept this very importan thing from me?!"

"Would it change anything then, Nathan?" She pushed.

"Of course! It would change a lot. How about my child would still be inside her, alive? Isn't that enough for the changes?"

"But that doesn't speak as to why she lost your baby now? Come to think of it, why does she have bruises, and she was bleeding? Yufa isn't clumsy. What did you do, Nathan?" That's it. I lost it all. Abruptly, I stood from the bench and hit it. The sound of the breaking woods wasn't enough to quell my anger.

"Fuck it, Arriane! Would you just shut up?!" I raked my my hair with my bleeding fist. This is driving me insane. "I pushed her off the stairs! You happy now? That's what you wanted to hear right? Now there's your truth-"

The next phrases was drowned and silenced by the loud smack that broke the tension between us, early this morning. Her palms connected to my cheeks left a stinging sensation all over me.

"Stop being so selfish, Nathan!" I saw a fresh set of tears stream down her beautiful face. I hardly remember when was the last time I saw her cry but I swear it was a very long time ago. "Look, where it got you. I really hope the sacrifice made by your child will worth a great change in you. If not then I swear, he sacrificed for a father who is beyond redemption."

With that, she left me to my thoughts wondering if what she said was true.

**********************

A/n

Unedited again. I promise to post a chapter today so here you go!

Please vote. Drop your comments and enjoy.

-Maiah❤