Chapter Sixteen

Yufa

The ride had been nothing but awkward. An Aston Martin should be an exquisite vehicle but the feeling of uneasiness is still there. The beauty of this car or even the marvelous city of Madrid cannot quell that feeling inside me. Rucio by my side seemed to enjoy this ride. He cannot wipe off the smile he wore since I accepted his offer back in the little shop. I also catched him stealing glances at me while I he thought I wasn't paying attention to his every move. Little did he know, I'm watching him from my periphery; observing his every move.

Why am I doing this?

So far, he hadn't attempted anything. He simply drive smoothly and well, smiling to himself like a teenage boy who got his first date from his school's campus' crush, minus the blushing. I forced myself to relax and lower my guard at a minimum. I'm being paranoid. I should be ashamed of myself thinking the danger that wasn't there in the first place. Rucio is a nice, decent man. Besides, it's just a friendly lunch. Once I thanked him properly and satisfied his guilt over the incident weeks ago, I could avoid him. Who knows, this would be the last time we'll ever see each other.

The car stopped in a parking lot. Rucio vacated his seat and went to open the door for me. He held out his hand and I took it, helping myself out of his car.

"I'm sorry, we'll be walking from here." He said.

"It's okay. Where are we going by the way?" I never got the chance to ask him about our destination since my mind is too occupied about my uneasiness. Now that we are out, only then that it came into my mind.

"You'll see. But my bet is that you will like it there." He smiled. "Shall we?"

He motioned me forward and we fall into a decent pace. I cannot help but be amazed at how this city looked so old yet modernized. The old infrastructure seemed to blend with technologies this current century is offering and it was wonderful. My eyes roamed from establishment to establishment wondering how old are they exactly considering this country was previously one of the world's most powerful and influential country along with it's neighboring country, Portugal.

I was too occupied with the world history that I haven't noticed that we stopped in front of a restaurant that looked like any other establishment in Madrid. Old but elegant.

Sobrino de Botin; the big sign greeted me like an old friend. The wooden doors wasn't anything like the usual restaurant. Most establishment have transparent walls and window, allowing the costumers to peek through the inside. This resaturant only offered a transparent glass on their doors. The aura outside told me it was old but I don't know how old this restaurant is.

"This is Sobrino de Botín, the oldest restaurant in the whole world, according to the Guiness World Book of Record, founded in 1725." Rucio proudly introduced.

My eyes went saucers as I finally fathomed the weight of Rucio's facts. This restaurant isn't just old. It's the oldest. In the whole wide world.

"Come, I'll show you inside." He beckoned me.

I followed him without saying anything. I was still in awe. If the outside left me speechless, the inside took me to other era. The walls were old, while the tables were wearing white table cloths which added more to it's elegance.

"It's beautiful." I breathed.

"I know." He said. "Are you up for a small tour? I'll show you around."

"I would love to." I agreed.

I let him guide me into a narrow door and led me downstairs. The sight of the space downstairs left me breathless. The pillars that supports the entire building has seen better days but they stood proud and strong. It's old appearance has looked brittle but when I touched them, the strength seemed to flow through my veins; screaming the hundreds of years they stood here that even wars couldn't break them.