Chapter Thirteen

Nathan

(An hour Earlier)

"What are you doing here?" I hissed at her after dragging her outside the venue into the balcony.

"Why not? I'm a guest, too." She said, her eyes lingered on my lips longer than necessary.

"Miranda, this is not funny. Her family is here. My mom is here too. Do you want to cause a scene?" I eyed her.

"Oh? I didn't know you care for her that much." She teased me, batting her eyelashes.

"No! That's not what I mean."

"Pray tell, Nathan" She came closer, her hands trailed on my necktie to my collars and all the way to my shoulders.

"Look, as much as I don't like Yufa's company, I have to act like a doting husband to her tonight." I said.

She started snaking her arms around my neck, a playful smile lingered on her lips. No matter how much I hate her for being an escort, I cannot deny the fact that she looks like Alana, physically. I'd rather choose her bed than someone who ruined everything in me. But, why do I felt guilty?

Why does Miranda's presence bothered me so much when I had been doing this since I was 'engaged' to Yufa? Why did I even drag her out in the first place? Eversince I caught her eavesdropping on us over the phone, I felt guilty. The look on her eyes keeps playing on my mind these past few days and I don't know why.

Yufa looked especially gorgeous tonight. Even before I spotted Miranda among the crowd, I felt reluctant to part with her.  I spotted a handful of men who lingered their sticky sights upon her and it annoys me. The thought of them approaching her is disturbing, it felt wrong. Since when did I felt protective over her? I shouldn't be feeling this way.

I pulled Miranda closer and secures my other hand around her waist. Without a second thought, I devoured her lips and kissed her hard, too eager to erase the image of Yufa that's been playing on my mind right now. Why am I even thinking of her right now?

Miranda gladly returned my kiss with same vigor as mine. When we're both out of breath, we parted, gasping for breath.

"I missed you too, Nathan." She breathed. From her purse, she retrieved a white handkerchief and wiped the smeared red lipstick all over my mouth.

I looked down at her. She, too, had smeared lipstick on her mouth. She wiped it with the same handkerchief, aplayful smile was drawn on her lips, and I felt uneasy. I think I know what it means.

"Don't do anything stupid, Miranda." I warned her.

"You hurt me, love." She sounded hurt, but her eyes spoke otherwise. A mischievous glint plays within them and I swear, I do not trust them.

"I'm bored, you know." She grinned widely.

"Miranda." I'm starting to hate her teasing now.

"Alright, alright." She raised her hands in surrender. I'm glad to see she knew better than playing jokes at me right now. "Just relax, Nathan. I'm not stupid enough to do anything unnecessary. I'm here to see what the fuss is all about, anyway."

After applying her lipstick, she leaned on the railings.

"Alexandrite. They are very hard to come by." She said in awe.

"What?"

"Oh, don't tell me you don't know anything about jewels, love. You disappoint me." She said, her back against me.

"I don't care about jewels, Miranda. They are all shiny and expensive. I don't know why people spends much money on rocks."

"You really are...boring." She turned to me and rolled her eyes. "Until now, you don't have the slightest idea why your father had married you off to someone like Yufa Chen."

"What was that suppose to mean?" I raised an eyebrow. Sometimes this woman sounded like a smart brat.

"Oh, love. Find that out for yourself. I'm not your detective."

"Whatever." I'm not in the mood for logics.

I joined her on the railings. I retrieved a packet of cigarette and lit one stick. Some smoke would be enough to soothe my mind.

After the stick burned all it's narcos, I decided that it's time to head back inside. They must be looking for me righg now. I left Miranda on the balcony to finish her own cigarette as it would be more suspicious if we head inside together.

As I walk towards the venue, I saw Yufa staggering coming out from the room. What is she doing out here? She continued staggering walking away from the doors. Seconds later, a man in gray suit came out from the room, following Yufa. Before I could think of what could possibly happened, Yufa fell hard on the floor.

"YUFA!" I wasn't sure if that was me or the man following her but one thing is for sure, I was scared. One emotion I didn't knew I still feel after Alana.

The man rushed to her aid and laid her into his arms.

Who the fuck is he?!

I bolted towards them and pushed the man aside. What does he think he is doing? I laid her in my own arms amd started shaking her.

"Yufa, wake up!" I shook her but to no avail. She has lost consciousness. What the hell happened to her?

That moment, I didn't care what's happening around us. It was chaotic, my mind is chaotic. Yufa ia alright, isn't she?

        ***

We rushed her to the hospital as she was not waking no matter how hard I try to wake her up.

We were all gathered here outside the room the doctor had put her. Ali is here. Her mother and father is here too, including the suspicious man who dared to put his hands on her.

I eyed him suspiciously. He better have nothing to do with this, or else... I kept my thoughts within me, realizing they are all groundless speculations. I looked at him, he soumd worried as the rest of us.

The door swung open and the doctor came out. All of us gathered around him.

"How is she?" Her mother asked. Worry etched all over her face.

"She is fine. Nothing serious." Everyone was relieved.

"What happened to her?" I asked the doctor. She couldn't have faint without reasons, right. There must have been something.

"She was drugged."

  *********************

A/n
Soooo. What do you think lovely readers?

I wanted to speed things up, so I'm trying all my best to write.

Sorry for the grammatical errors.

---Vote.Comment.Share.Enjoy

---Maiah