Numb [Kai Hiwatari]

The floor got dirty with every drop of blood that fall on it.

"A few more minutes and it will be over - for once and for all."

Clank

A sharp shred of the metal blade fell down as the puddle of blood increased in size.

"Grandpa, I got an 'A' in calculation. Look, look!!" A five year old smiled gleefully at his masterpiece of a mark-sheet.

"Didn't anyone get an 'A*'?" the boy's expression was a little saddened as he shook his head vigorously.

"One student did. Tala got an 'A*'."

"Then what good are you if you can't live up to the Hiwatari extent? How many times must you be reminded to be the best in everything and anything you do?" The boy's heart shattered at the stern and terse words.

"But..."

"Now go and don't step out to play 'til you have earned the first rank. GOT IT?"

"Yes grandfather."

"I couldn't be the best."

"I won the swimming championship at school." An eight year old boy stated with a very little hope that he might be praised.

"What's so great in it?"

"It was held between all schools of Moscow and..."

"Just in Moscow?! Don't you feel ashamed of being the heir to such a big fortune and not being good at a single thing?"

"I- I am s..."

"Just if your parents wouldn't have found each other you wouldn't be here! Susumu was enough trouble to find someone like your mother. And then they left without you!!!"

"I... I couldn't help it...."

"Of course, you can only help in making me poor. A waste of space; and my money and time you are!"

"I really am ashamed - not because I'm worthless but because I carry your name."

"Why did you call me Boris?"

"Sorry Mr. Hiwatari but Kai couldn't endure the training. He's critical."

"That's it? He's just in the ICU. You could have just let it pass. It's not like he'll die?"

"Of-course, sir."

"Then no worries. Just make sure this training makes him stronger and void of any memories."

"We cannot erase his memories but void him of emotions."

"That's even better. Do that."

"You should have been happy after this. Happy that I lost my emotions but heard every of those venomous words."

"Hello Grandpa?"

"Speak properly boy. It's grandfather; or sir for you."

"Sorry sir. I have won the regional championships in Bey City - just as you had wished."

"You wasted my time for this? It's not like you are getting to participate in the World Championships!!"

"Yes sir, but next year when I will be the defending champion, I can get to participate in the World Championships..."

"So?"

"Yeah, your question was right 'So?' I just secured myself a chance in the next year Championships, so what? I didn't do anything great!"

"I have become a part of the championships team. Hopefully we will win and appear for the Main Competition at Moscow, sir."

"Hm. What's it with this hopefully? Losing is not an option."

"Yes sir."

"Of course, losing wasn't an option. I remember the rule by heart, 'Do or Die'."

"Kai!!! YOU'LL PAY FOR LOWERING MY RESPECT AND HURTING MY DIGNITY. You'll have to quit blading."

"Sir... I can't do that. Blading is the only thing that helps me remember my father..."

"It's an order. You'll leave for a boarding school tonight itself. And remember be the best."

"Ha! The best. I was fourteen then - didn't you already get I wasn't just the best. I couldn't live to the Hiwatari Extent."

"You called me sir?"

"Yes. I want to ask you some things."

"Yes sir."

"What's up with your sudden closeness with that Tyson boy?"

"I see him as a good person and a worthy opponent and..."

"And...?"

"Nothing sir."

"If I ever suspect that you have feelings for the boy, I'll get you killed in a moment. No one is ever gonna hear your name again."

"Y-yes sir."

"How silly of me to think you would never know about what was going on with me and Tyson?"

"I had warned you boy. You broke my trust. You'll regret it."

"N-no sir. Sir please, no. N-no... you'll not harm Tyson."

"Not him. It'll be you. "

"W-what!?"

"Sorry grandpa, but I was just strong enough to take your abuses. I don't care for the physical scars you left on my body. What really hurt were those awful nights in the torture cells of the Balkov Abbey when one after the other cheap men came in and then left taking away my innocence bit by bit."

"Now that I have access to this forsaken tool, I can end this all."

"You and I should have known from the start it was going to end up this way. Either me; or you."

"I'm sorry, I failed."

"But I regret knowing that I ended up livin' just like you. You disappointed your family - mom, dad and grandma. I ended up disappointing my family - You."

"I just wanted to become the grandchild you could be proud of. I wanted to be what you wanted me to be... But right now all I wish is I could I have been more like me and be less like you."

"But you know what? I don't care. I am just too numb. I don't even feel you dark shadow on my bed..."

Voltaire stood at the door as his grandson's door watching his boy slowly giving up breathing. He watched calmly as Kai gave up breathing. Finally... until he felt a pain in his chest.

Thump-thump-thump

The pain increased and for the first time after adopting Kai years back he felt this for the first time.

Regret