Chapter 8: Of Presents and Pasts

Chapter 8:

"Y/N please! Just one day!"

"No, nope, not happening. None of your begging is gonna work on me now, Jungkook. Not until you tell Jimin everything!"

"Y/N, please! This will be the last time, I promise. I just want to make Maya's birthday special. I don't know what to give her. Help me out on this." Jungkook pleaded, clasping his hands together.

"I said what I said. No means no Jungkook. Sorry, but you won't get my help this time. No matter how much you beg for it. No, just no!"

Was what I said 30 minutes ago, so why am I walking together with Jungkook on our way to the mall?

He glanced at me shyly, smiling at me like a little kid who finally got his parents to take him to the mall. I smiled back at him with my eyes twitching to let him know how irritated I am.

"Don't be mad, Y/N. Just think about it. You'll be helping me, your brother, become happier with this." He stated as he pats me on the head. And this is exactly why I'm mad. He's pulling the brother card again. If only murder was legal...

"How did the date yesterday go?" I asked, trying to change the topic. One more utter of the word 'brother' and I'm gonna explode.

"It was really fun. Unlike my other dates, it was really special. Just the two of us eating out, just talking without getting physical. She's really one of a kind. She... she makes me so soft." Jungkook's eyes glistened talking about his date experience with Maya and how special she is to him. He looked so happy recalling the events that occurred yesterday. I've never seen Jungkook like this before. Maya really did change him. I'm happy for him but why does my heart ache from every word he said?

"I'm happy for you." I said and gave him a bitter smile. The smile on his face faded when he saw my smile. He looked like he was about to say something but stopped and kept his mouth shut.

The road to the mall was filled with silence. Like the two of us were strangers, just walking towards the same direction. I'm getting a déjà vu here. Did I make things awkward?

The awkward atmosphere remained until we reached the toy store. Jungkook decided to get Maya a stuffed toy for her birthday. He asked me to choose which one to give her, breaking the silence.

"You should buy that 6 foot pink teddy bear. She'll love it." I suggested.

"Okay, I'll buy that then." He smiled and immediately went to the cashier to pay for that teddy bear I picked. He glanced at me happily while I gave him a bitter smile, again. His smile turned into a frown.

"What's wrong?" He asked with a concerned look on his face.

"N-nothing. It's just that, you never gave me a present, that's all. Maybe I'm a bit jealous." I giggled, trying to laugh my sadness away, trying to pass it off as a joke. Jungkook looked a bit surprised with what I said. He opened his mouth for a second, then closed it again and gulped.

"I'm just kidding! Really, it's nothing." I laughed, trying to lift up the mood. And clearly, it didn't work. He was still speechless and just looked at the ground.

God, why did I even say that? I should've kept it to myself.

After transacting our business, we left the store and walked around the mall, carrying that giant teddy bear with us. After a few minutes, we found a bench to sit on. Jungkook placed the giant teddy bear beside me and then sighed, finally relieved of the heavy luggage. He took his wallet from his bag and stood up.

"I'm gonna go buy something, wait here okay?" He said and stormed off.

I took out my phone to play games since I was bored, when I see a familiar woman walking around the mall. I put my phone away trying to recognize if it was really her. The woman stopped as well when she saw me looking at her. Oh shit, it is really her.

"Y/N?" she asked, smiling with her mouth wide open.

"Oh my gosh, Liza?" I exclaimed, smiling back at her.

"It's been a while!" she said and pulled me into a hug. And of course, I hugged back.

If anyone else remembers, I mentioned Liza back in the prologue and she's Jungkook's ex. Not just any ex, but she's his first love, the woman he really loved before. It was after his break-up with her that Jungkook started fooling around with girls and never took them seriously. Well, that is until Maya came to his life.

"How're you?" I asked her after pulling away from the hug. We were actually close before, by the way.

"I'm doing fine. You? Did you come here alone?"

"Ahh no. I was with... Jungkook." I said, pausing for a while, thinking if it was okay to mention Jungkook. It's been years so I guess it's okay?

"Oh my God, don't tell me... You guys are going out?" she asked in a teasing tone.

I choked when I heard what she asked.

"No! No. We're not. I'm just helping him in his shopping. How about you? Did you come here alone?" I asked diverting the topic.

"Ahh no, I'm with my boyfriend. I just went to the restroom and he's probably waiting for me by now." She said, trying to excuse herself.

"Babe I've been looking everywhere for you. What took you so long?" a voice suddenly came from behind us. The voice sounded familiar. And I wish I was wrong. I turned around slowlyto figure out the owner of the voice and unfortunately,my guess was right.

"Yoongi!" Liza exclaimed as she walked towards Yoongi.

"Y/N, this is my boyfriend, Yoongi. I believe you two know each other?" she asked hesitantly, obviously aware that's something's going on between me and Yoongi.

Yoongi stared at me silently. I looked at him in the eye then immediately looked away, turning to the ground. I still can't look at him. It has been months, but I'm still not over it. Not after that messy break up. How could he look at me this way without a sense of guilt in him? How could he look at me like he's not sorry for everything? He was my first boyfriend, and also the first guy to break my heart. Just the thought of him makes me wanna cry, what more now that he's right in front of me? I have tons of things I wanna ask him, but I know now is not the right time and right place.

I felt my cheeks burn up, my eyes watery, tears about to fall. I bit my lower lip trying to prevent the tears from falling. I can't let Yoongi see me cry, I can't let him see that I'm weak.

Someone,please save me.

"Yoongi, what the FUCK?!" Jungkook ran towards us, dropping the two ice cream cones he was holding from both his hands, and pushed Yoongi away from me.

"Leave Y/N alone!" Jungkook shouted, guarding me from him.

Yoongi scoffed as he regained his composure and pushed Jungkook back.

"I'm not even doing anything to her." Yoongi replied calmly.

Jungkook clenched his fist and positioned himself to punch Yoongi.

"JUNGKOOK STOP IT!" I shouted, grabbing him from behind.

Liza rushed to grab Yoongi as well.

"Next time I see your face around Y/N, I swear I'm gonna kill you!" Jungkook yelled, pushing my hand away. Yoongi let out a snort before he turned around and pulled Liza by her wrist, walking away.

Jungkook sighed then pulled me into a hug.

"Don't cry Y/N, I'm here for you." He whispered and patted me on the head.

I hugged him back and nodded. Little did he know, his action made it harder for me to stop myself from crying. I grabbed his back even harder and started sobbing. We stayed like that for a few minutes, not giving a care about the people staring at us.

That time, I wish he didn't hug me. Maybe then I wouldn't have fallen for him.

To be continued.