Chapter 19: Treat You Better

Chapter 19:

“Maya… I'm so sorry.”

Those four words were enough for her to grasp the situation. She nodded at me and faked another smile. A tear escaped from her eye as she asked, “Is it you?”

“What?” I asked, confused.

“Is it you? Are you the other girl? Because if it's not you, I don't know how I'll be able to handle it. I feel like… if it's you, I think I'll understand. Jungkook has always favored you over me. Jungkook has always been happier whenever we were with. His face brightens up whenever we talk about you. So if it's you, I think I could accept it. Please, please, tell me it's you.” She sobbed continuously in between the words she let out. I can see the pain in her eyes, begging me to tell her she was right. I'm so sorry, Maya.

“Maya… You know I'll never do that. I can never do that to you. You're my best friend. I will never do anything to hurt you.” I pulled her into a hug in an attempt to stop her from crying. She hugged me back tight as she wailed, gripping onto the back of my shirt.

“What did I do wrong? I love him, was my way of showing not enough?” she whispered into my ear, her voice breaking as she grips onto my shirt tightly. I patted her on her back, reassuring her, “No, sweetie. Nothing's wrong with you. You gave it your all. Don’t ever think you’re not enough. You have no reason to blame yourself. Don't let any guy dictate your value, you're beautiful, okay? Just let it all out now. It's okay to cry now, because after this, you'll be an even better person and make better decision. Someday a guy will love you in a way you deserve, even more than you would expect. Someone who deserves your love, unlike Jeon Jungkook-“

The sound of glasses breaking, hitting the floor cut me off. By the door, there stood Namjoon, dumbfounded, probably heard everything I said. The sight of his little sister crying made him drop the glasses of orange he brought for us, his jaw clenched along with his fist. He rushed towards me aggressively, yelling “Where is Jungkook?!”

Maya let go of me and grabbed her brother by his wrist, asking him to calm down. Namjoon always had anger issues and he definitely wouldn't stop, especially not now that her sister is involved.

“Maya I told you a hundred fucking times what kind of guy that motherfucker is! But you didn’t listen! You kept insisting he was gonna change! Look what happened now!” Namjoon shouted at Maya, making Maya cry even harder and whimper in fear.

“Y/N, tell me where Jungkook is right now!” he charged towards me, his grip tightening on my collar, ignoring Maya's cries for him to stop. Taehyung rushed upstairs to where we are, and held Namjoon, “Bro, stop this!”

Namjoon let go of me and stormed off their house. Taehyung and I hurriedly followed him, leaving Maya alone in her room, still crying. Namjoon walked fast around the street, shouting, asking where Jeon Jungkook is. From a distance, we spot Jungkook, still at the place we last saw him, sitting against the wall. Namjoon lifted him by the collar and punched him in the face, making Jungkook flinch back to the ground. He could only look at Namjoon in defeat as he tried to wipe the blood that came from his bruised lip. I immediately ran towards them and tried to protect Jungkook from any more of Namjoon's attacks. Taehyung grabbed Namjoon from behind and tried to drag him back, asking him to stop but Namjoon kept on struggling from Taehyung's clutch. “Why did you do it Jungkook?! Why did you make my sister cry?! Why did it have to be her?!”

“Namjoon! Please stop! What Jungkook did was wrong, but violence is never the answer to this! We can talk about this! So please!” I cried, sitting next to Jungkook, begging for Namjoon to stop.

“Why are you protecting this asshole?! No one makes my little sister cry. I'll beat you to a pulp you motherfucker!” Namjoon positioned his fist once again, aiming at Jungkook, while Taehyung is trying his best not to let go of Namjoon. Jungkook, still dumbfounded by the situation, is in no shape to defend himself. None of our words are reaching Namjoon, who's still struggling to remove Tae's clutch onto him. I looked over at Jungkook with pleading eyes, he could only look at me with his eyes widened, shocked by the current events. Having no choice, I stood before Namjoon, went down to my knees, kneeling before him, and bowed my head to the ground. Jungkook came back to his senses as he asked me to stand up. Taehyung's grip on Namjoon loosened and I could feel Namjoon slowly calming down.