A Touch of Roses

Capsize

I softly sketch onto the paper in front of me, attempting to get everything out of my head. It's not good to keep myself inside but sometimes everything gets overwhelming. So many times I've been told that I'm special but it makes me feel overwhelmed. Drawing does help at least when I have to get a few things out of my head even if my walls sometimes suffer for it. Today, at least, I have paper.

I'm not sure who exactly I'm drawing, a young woman with scared eyes but nothing I can remember about her personality. She was watching and that's all I can remember. I'm not sure how good the picture will be given how little I have to go on but if I fill in the missing details with features that fit it'll look fine even if it isn't accurate. It's more disappointing that I don't know her name. I'd prefer to have the picture named but it feels wrong to give it the wrong one.

By the time someone comes to check on me, the sketch is pretty much done. I look up to see Jordan in the doorway, looking back at me with a smile. I adjust slightly to make myself more comfortable without getting off my stomach. I know I could move (it would probably be good to stretch a little) but my wings feel free, not making contact with the wall as they move.

"Hey Cap, you alright?" He asks me, obviously worried about how I haven't come out my room today. He doesn't need to be worried since I can't get ill like he can but it does feel nice to be worried about, especially by Jordan. Having him around makes me happy since he tends to act a little more like me compared to the fairies I've always been around.

"Yeah, just drawing," Jordan, despite the short time he's been here, does know I like drawing even if he doesn't know why. I mean anyone who's been in my room could tell from the state of my walls. He moves closer to me to look at the drawing. He smiles as he picks up the sketch.

"This is impressive, who's the woman?" I have to resist blushing at the compliment as I feel a tingle on my back and stomach that's almost second nature to me. It's nothing new for him to compliment my drawings, usually he's the first one to see them, but every time he does it feels so good. Every time it's like a warmth flickers around me. He looks ready to hear my answer when he looks at my back, suddenly becoming surprised. "I didn't know you had tattoos."

"I don't have-" I stop as I realise what he's seen and that he would think they're tattoos. I sit up, letting my top fall over my stomach and back to cover what Jordan was looking at. It's sort of embarrassing that he found my blooms by accident but left to my own devices I'm not sure I would've told him at all. "They're just natural things that fairies have."

"But your brother has tattoos," He says confused. I almost laugh. It's true that Red does have tattoos but they're pretty simple compared to his blooms, they wouldn't let him have anything complex. You want something complex and you've just got to hope and dream that your body does it for you.

"Yeah but he also has natural ones, not ones like mine but natural ones," Red's blooms are more all over the place rather than all over one space like mine. Mine are a large collection of one thing while his are like everyone else's. Jordan won't find it weird but it's always nerve-racking to let someone see.

"Do you want to see them properly?"

"Sure," I pull my top up to show my stomach that's covered in roses. There's no uniform colour within them, there's whites, yellows, pinks, oranges, reds, and purples. I've always liked the mixture of colours, they don't stick but it's nice that the base is nice at the very least. It's still sort of embarrassing that there was were only roses but since Red has a few roses too now (orange ones) I've felt a little better about it. Jordan smiles looking at them. "They're beautiful and you were born with them?"

"Yeah, well found in the woods with them. You know like Will," I know Jordan doesn't quite get that yet that fairies aren't always born. Most are but then there's one like me who just sort of appeared one day. I could have been born but I don't really think about it. As long as I'm here I might as well not question how I got here.

"They're so detailed," Jordan murmurs as he touches on only for them to react to his touch. I bite my lip to stop myself laughing at his reaction as the roses around his fingers turn red. He stumbles back and the roses all quickly shift back to their original colour. It's a usual reaction to people seeing them change for the first time. "They just changed colour!"

"They do that. Don't worry. It's odd, even to fairies," No one else in the tribe has blooms that change colour, it's just me. Just another thing that I shouldn't be able to do.

"Odd? What do you mean?" I shrink a little inward, not wanting to talk about it because I'm meant to feel good about it. It's another thing that makes me "special". There's a lot of things like that, it seems everything makes me special even if I don't want it to. I mean some people say I should feel bad since I take attention away from everyone else by being weird. I'm not meant to feel good about it.

"No one else has ones that change colour. It's like a lot of things about me, weird and no one else can do it," Jordan frowns, looking at me with sad eyes that I've only seen him use a few times. It's only when he's worried about me. I try to avoid their gaze but I know I can't, he'll just get more worried about me if I avoid him. Well, he cares at least a lot of people don't have anyone like that but I have so many.

"People tease you about it, don't they," I shrug despite knowing it's true. I go to turn away but Jordan wraps his arms around me. Relaxing into his arms, I suddenly realise that he wouldn't understand why it's weird. To him, there wouldn't be any reason to make me feel bad about it. "Every part of you is brilliant and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise."

A/N:

So it's been awhile since I wrote something for this book but I really sort of like how this one turned out. It may just be because I like fairies but I like devolving their traits in the story. This is meant to take place a few months into Capsize and Jordan's relationship where he's still sort of getting use to fairy stuff in general.

I would been more into the note but i've been ill for the past day or so and it's sort of hard to figure out what to type.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter :D