Chapter 16

Shawn

I had never been so angry in my entire life. It wasn't even Reńe, I was angry with myself for letting him upset me. I glanced over at Amelia. She hadn't said anything since we'd left the restaurant.

"You okay sweetness." I asked glancing away from the rode for a second to look at her.

"I'm fine." Was all she said.

We'd been hanging out for almost 3 weeks and I was starting to learn what makes her tick. I knew she wasn't fine. We pulled up to my house. She didn't even wait for me to get out of the car. She waited for me at the door. I opened it, allowing her to walk in first. She went straight for my room, sat down on the bed and took off her heels. I sat down behind her.

"Amelia, will please just talk to me. I'm sorry for what happened at the restaurant. If I'd have known he would be there. I wouldn't have agreed to go."

She turned to face me. The hurt in her eyes was very evident.

"Do you really like me Shawnette? Or am I just a filler until you can have the person that you really want?"

"Amelia is that really the kind of person you think I am? You know how dope I think you are."

She stood up and walked around the bed to where I was sitting.

"You didn't answer my question." She said. "You're in love with her aren't you?" I couldn't even look at her. "God how did I not see this before?" She said shaking her head.

"Amelia I'm not trying to play you." I needed her to know that. "I'm sorry." I said letting my head fall into my hands.

"Shawnette sweetie, you don't have to apologize." She kneeled down in front of me. "I know you're not trying to hurt me. I like you Shawnette. I really like you and that's why I have to go." She lifted my chin forcing me to look at her. "At first we were just having fun but if I continue to allow myself to get close to you, I will end up with a broken heart. I don't want to be that girl chasing someone who loves someone else."

"I must look like a fool to you then huh."

"Not at all." She reassured me. "I saw the way she looked at you. The way she reacted to seeing me with you. Janet loves you Shawnette not that guy. Who am I to stand in the way of that?" She kissed me softly. "It's too bad, we were fucking hot together." She said smiling.

Amelia gathered her things and headed for the door. I followed. "Let me at least drive you home."

"Nah, I like to find my own way, but thank you." She touched my face, smiled and disappeared down the hallway. I knew that was probably the last time I would see her.

I closed the door and took a seat on the couch. Amelia was right. I knew Janet loved me. I couldn't believe I let my judgement get so clouded. I picked up my phone and call from Gil started coming through.

"Hey babe."

"Shawn, I am almost to your house with Preston. Janet promised she would call when she got home. I have called her 6 times and nothing. Something is wrong. We have to go get her."

"Okay okay, I'm dressed. Just let me know when you pull up."

"Okay were like 5 minutes away, just come outside and bring your bat."

I stood outside and jumped in the car as soon they pulled up. Gil was frantic and crying.

"Calm down boo."

"I can't. I just know he has done something to her. I swear to god I'm gonna fucking kill him Shawn if she is hurt. He said picking his phone up to call her again."

Preston glanced at me from the rearview mirror. He looked pretty worried as well.

"You doing okay Pres?"

"Not really Ms. Heard. I have been driving for her for years and I haven't seen her for weeks. She hasn't called me to come pick her up once. So if you guys don't mind, hang on tight because I'm about to step on it."

It was amazing to me how many people she had around her that cared and loved her so much. All of us were ready for a fight and the time was coming fast as we pulled into the gates of Janet's home. We all got out the car, bat in my hand we approached the door.

"Y'all ready?" Gil nodded. "Preston?"

"Let's get this motherfucker." He said as he slowly pushed the door open.