Chapter 28

Final Rehearsal Dinner

Janet

After a strenuous and stressful few months, we were ready to kick off the first show of The Velvet Rope Tour in as little as a couple of days.

The room was filled with laughter, clinking glasses and light conversation. Everyone was talking except Shawn and I. She wouldn't even look in my direction unless she had to. It was hard considering we had to work so closely together, specifically on a few numbers where we had to interact.

Amelia giggled across from me and pulled me out of my head. God definitely had a sense of humor as deja vu crept up on me. I realize this was the exact seating for the very first rehearsal dinner. Shawn seemed happy and even though I was hurt by our more than non existent friendship, I knew that I'd brought it on myself. She glanced at me and I quickly looked away.

Tina stood up and tapped her fork against her glass. Everyone silenced and gave her their full attention.

"I just wanted to thank everyone for coming tonight. You all look so amazing!" She said.

Gil popped his tongue. "We know!" Everyone started to laugh.

Tina continued. "I just wanted to say that you kids have worked your asses off and Janet and I couldn't be more proud of you. This one is going down in history baby!" She said as everyone cheered and she pointed at me. "Should we let Dunk say something?"

Everyone began to chant, "Speech!" over and over. No matter how many times I shook my head, they just grew louder. We were beginning to disturb the low chatter of the restaurant.

"Okay okay." I laughed and motioned for everyone to settle down. "You guys know what you mean to me. The reason we're all so close is because of the work we do together. You are more than just "The Kids" to me. You are more than just my friends. You're my family and I love you all so very much." I blushed as awes filled the silence. I smiled at Tina sitting at the head of the table on the other end. "You have whipped our asses in to shape girl and because of  you we are ready for this. And I wanted to say... thank you T. I'm so greatful for you." She stood up to walk over to me. As she passed the others, a man no one recognized brushed past her and walked right up to me. Joey stood up and headed in my direction.

"Are you Ms. Jackson?" He asked. I held my hand up at Joey.

"I am, how can I help you."

He handed me an envelope. "Then this would be for you ma'am. Enjoy the rest of your day." He said and walked away. Joey followed behind him, beginning to raise hell and demanding to speak with the manager at once.

I stared at the envelope in my hand and immediately started to open it.

"Dunk I don't think you should open that now sweetie." Gil said. I looked at him, pulled the paper out and unfolded it.

Shawn

All eyes were on our table. Everyone in the restaurant, guests, waiters, even a few cooks had come out from the kitchen. The tension in the room was thick. My heart was beating fast as I just watched for Janet's next move.

She was just standing there. Everyone was on their feet. Joey could still be heard arguing with the manager about how a random guy with no reservation was able to get into the restaurant and that close to Janet in the first place.

"Um," Janet said. Everyone's attention focused back on her. "Thank you all for such a beautiful evening." She was on the verge of tears. "I'm sorry but I need to leave you all early tonight. Please stay and enjoy yourselves, on me Of course. The limo is out side. I got a VIP booth at the club for later. Drinks on me. Sorry guys." She grabbed her purse and glanced at me. The look in her eyes was heartbreaking. She looked away and walked out of the restaurant while the rest of us just watched in silence.