Chapter 4

Apologies as it's been a wee while since I last updated but I hope it was worth the wait! 

 Also, you may not know who Ceallach in the story actually is - so I put a picture on the side - love him loads! - and he is Nath's actual friend which is pretty sweet. 

Thank you for reading - as always;) x

--------------------------------------------------------

“Here? Now?” I squeaked. I was frozen in my position. My mouth fell open and my feet jerking off the arm of the sofa so I was sitting upright. 

“Um, yeah. He said he was free!” Cel defended himself, eyeing me carefully. 

“Okay, um…thank you.” I murmured. I was thankful. I was glad Nathan was coming. The little girl within me was turning into a pile of giggly, speechless mush and she didn't even know why. But the 17-year-old-in-a-few-days girl on the outside was scanning the room, wondering what to do. I suddenly realised the amount of IKEA furniture I had in my flat. It also suddenly seemed extremely small. My eyes fell on the red warning bills lying by the window. I snatched them up. Biting on my lip anxiously, I stood up and cleared away all the plates in the room. Ceallach eyeing me anxiously as I went. 

Ceallach's POV

That was not the reaction I had been expecting. On the phone yesterday Evanna had been so keen to see Nathan and they were both free today so, perhaps stupidly, I thought inviting him over would be alright. Seemingly I had overlooked some ghastly error. It had't just been Ev who had been eager to meet up again; Nathan had sent me a similar text as soon as he returned home after dinner. Pulling my phone out I re-read the old text, making sure I hadn't left any secret messages undeciphered or something/ 

From Nathan: I was going to text and tell you how stupid you were setting us up. Loser. But after seeing you faceplant I think you've had enough punishment. I actually had a really good time with her. Do you think she'd like to hang again? Nath 

I smiled at the phone satisfied that at least Nathan was willing to meet up. Why couldn't girls just say what they mean? Ev re-entered the room still looking anxious. I studied her face. The worry lines etched onto her forehead, the dimple on her left cheek, her furrowed eyebrows over her dark blue eyes. Yup, she definitely wasn’t happy. At least her body language was reasonably transparent. Perhaps she was just nervous about seeing him - she had rather telling lost her cool in front of him a few times at dinner. She must like him. 

Then she began to move around the room. I pretended to be busy with her ipod, but instead I stuck on a random song and watched her. I watched as she took a picture of her with her family and turned it around so you couldn’t see the front then she took a French magazine and hid it under the sofa. Evanna continued on like this: continuing to hide bits of herself.

Ev had always been like this. She didn't like the way people would do a double take when she explained that yes, that dark skinned french couple were indeed her parents. If Evanna had any flaws it wasn't the fact that she came from a strange background, it was the way that this fact constantly haunted her and she let it make her so self conscious of herself. In my personal opinion the story of her adoption sounded something like a fairy tale, certainly nothing to be ashamed of. But Evanna didn't agree and what do I know?

“What do you think?” She gestured to the room. 

"It's your lounge just like it always is." I mumbled, not wanting to encourage her. She frowned at me before dragging her big blue eyes around the room. 

“Is he here?” I followed Ev’s gaze out the window onto the street. Her flat is below street level so the only things you can really see out the window are people’s feet and the tyres of cars. But there was no mistaking the tyres of a minivan as they pulled up and the soles of Nathan’s trademark supra high tops as he stepped onto the pavement. Ev rushed for the door.