Chapter Twenty Seven

Chapter 27

***Nathan’s POV***

“Oh my goodness.” The curly haired lady took a few tentative steps towards us, away from the small cottage, before her excitement got the better of us and she hurled herself towards us. She threw her arms around both me and Evanna, hugging me just as closely as her own daughter.

When she pulled away, I looked into her kind face to see her eyes were glistening with tears.

“Um, you okay mum?” Evanna half laughed, looking slightly embarrassed by her mother’s reaction.

“Yes! God, I don’t know why I’m crying!” her mother ran a trembling finger under her eye to stop the tears from falling. Her accent was extremely thick, much more so than Manon’s.

“Nathan! It’s a pleasure to meet you! I’m Natalie. I feel like I know you already though, the things Evanna has said.” Natalie grinned at me through her tears, holding onto my hand. Manon shuffled passed us with our luggage, a slight smile of her face as she listened in. “The famous Nathan Sykes.” I felt Natalie appraise me gently, her eyes wandering over my face and her expression softening. Evanna face palmed behind her. “Thank you for coming here to meet us.”

“Oh, it’s my pleasure. Thank you for welcoming me. It’s lovely out here!” I gestured to the beach with my hands.

“Mmm...” Natalie mumbled, I could tell she wasn’t listening “Henlé!!” she stepped backwards and called into the house.

“She’s getting my dad.” Evanna whispered, coming and standing by my side. She slid her arms around my waist and leant into me, it made me relax knowing she was comfortable being close to me around her parents. “Sorry about all this.” Her voice came out as almost inaudible. I grinned back.

“You have nothing to apologise for.” I mouthed back.

***

***Evanna’s POV***

“You have nothing to apologise for.” He whispered to me, and I felt his warm breath against my face, making me blush as always. My mu turned around just in time to see this but bit her lips to hide her smile.

When dad came out, the first thing he did was take a double take of me standing with my arms around another boy, for reason it just felt natural to be this close to Nathan, although I guess for a dad, it may be weird to see. But he soon got over this and came over and kissed my hair, stroking it and commenting on my recent haircut. His eyes then fell upon Nathan and I sensed him stiffen beside me. I froze, nervous of his reaction.

“So, you’re the boy my daughter’s in love with.” Dad observed, looking Nathan up and down. I had been watching Nathan’s face, he had been petrified beforehand but as soon as dad said this, Nathan’s eyes warmed.

“I don’t know about that, Sir, but I’m certainly the boy who’s in love with your daughter.” Nathan laughed, tightening his arm over my shoulder.

I waited tersely for dad’s response. Dad considered this for a second before his frozen face melted away to reveal a resigned smile. “Glad to hear it, Nathan.” Dad stretched to shake Nathan’s hand.

Mum soon ushered Nathan inside, fawning and faffing over him. He found this highly funny, his nose scrunched up in what seemed to be a permanent beam. After a glass of Ribena in our brightly coloured plastic children’s cups, I led him outside to our garden. Gemma was running frantically around, chasing dandelion seeds in a pair of dungaree shorts and flip flops.

She stopped when she saw us, before shooting down the garden in a second, and coming to a stop before us. She gave me a big toothless grin, opening her mouth to speak, giving me only enough time to see how much she had grown in just the few months I had been gone, when she caught sight of Nathan. She recognised his face from the CDs of The Wanted I had sent to and, incidentally, got her hooked on. She proceeded to sit on his foot, wrapping her arms around his leg and declare him her brother.