Chapter 9

“Bye! Have a good time!” Siva called to us. The rest of the boys ambushed us as we tried to make our escape: trying to ruffle Nathan’s hair or pinch his cheeks. I laughed as Nathan squirmed out of their grip and yanked the door closed on their faces. But we could still hear them all giggling. 

Nathan turned to look at me, his lips curving into a smile as he examined my face. “So, where to?” he asked cheerfully. 

“Oh, somewhere.” I answered vaguely, winking at him. I stepped forward and reached up, pulling off his hat and readjusting his fringe so that it covered his forehead. He looked curiously at me while I did this. I smiled and carried on, eventually placing the hat back on his head and yanking it down so he couldn't see at all. I found this hilarious.  

He peeked at me from under the rim of his cap, adjusting it a little. “Not that I mind, but what was that?” 

“Preparation for taking the tube.” I answered “I know you're probably used to it, but being surrounded by fans wouldn't do much for my blood pressure." He nodded , accepting my reason. We walked down the garden path, Nathan jogging ahead to open the gate for me, gesturing for me to go through first. It was just little actions like that that got me everytime.

I was busy trying to locate the tube station in my mind, not being familiar with this area, when Nathan took my hand. I glanced at him but he was staring pointedly ahead trying very hard not to smile. 

 We arrived at the station just in time and ran to an empty coach. Nathan bowed his head each time we stopped just in case a stray fangirl wandered in. By the time our stop arrived, I was getting pretty excited about my plan and I couldn’t wait to see his reaction. 

“Ok, we’re here!” I said as we climbed the steps and arrived in the fresh air, back on the pavement. He came to a stop next to me and looked around. It was completely dark but I could still see his bright eyes darting around as he took in our surroundings. 

“What are we doing here?” he asked “This is just an industrial area…and the O2.” He added nonchalantly, gesturing towards it. 

“Yep!" I beamed in anticipation. 

“What?” A cute dent formed between his eyebrows. 

"I have a job here this week directing a few gigs." I shrugged, trying to play down how ridiculously excited I was about my new job. "And I just picked up the keys today. It's completely empty tonight." I turned slowly to face him, widening my eyes meaningfully and producing the keys from coat pocket. 

Nathan’s eyes rounded as he stopped staring at the massive dome and began to gawk at me, his mouth falling open. "Surely you don't mean...." I waited "You aren't - you can't - I mean, you can't let me in there? Can you?" 

"Yeah, actually I can." I nodded slowly and pulled on his arm, leading us over to the entrance - trying to remember the instructions for how to get inside that had been explained to me earlier today. 

"This is insane...." Nathan muttered, shaking his head in disbelief and letting me drag him over. 

I giggled, listening to him mumble as I began the long process of gaining access to the building. After I had figured out how to open all the other security doors properly, we finally made it to the arena itself. Even in the pitch black, you could feel you were in the middle of a vast amount of open space. You could sense the roof was hundreds of metres away from you and it was the strangest feeling, most liberating feeling. It made you feel quite powerful, being the only ones allowed in something so big and important.

I fumbled along the wall until I found a light switch and yanked on it, flooding the arena in light. I turned to see Nathan watching me, his mouth open. His eyes were shinging with excitement and I gestured towards the stage at the other end from us. "Go for it." I said, raising my eyebrows as though daring him to do it.