Chapter Twenty Nine

Firstly, as always, thank you for all your support. Your comments are genuinely incredibly flattering! :) Secondly, the interesting part is coming starts in the next chapter and may span the next two! So, that's a good break from all the fluff I've been writing!

Thirdly (sorry, this is boring I know, bare with me! :S), I feel the need to clarify Ev's lip thing. She does not have a deformed face! Just a very thin upper lip that is slightly disproportionate to the rest of her face. The picture on the side should help - imagine Ev with either a 4 or a 5. It's not supposed to be actually THAT noticable, it's just that she feels very self conscious of it for a reason you will find out soon;) 

Okay, phew I'm done - please enjoy! xx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 29

***Evanna’s POV***

The rest of the day sped past too quickly and soon it was the evening. Nathan was playing with Gemma outside in the garden and I watched through the kitchen window as he chased after her, while she giggled deliriously. I saw mum fumbling through her purse, trying to get some money together.

“What are you doing, mum?” I asked turning to her. She looked up suddenly pink in the cheeks, reminding me of a child caught with their hand in the biscuit jar.

“Just getting out my purse.” She snapped it shut and dropped her hand to her side “I thought we could go out to a restaurant for dinner tonight.”

“Oh, that sounds good!” I enthused, realising what she was doing.

“Yeah. I thought it would be nice.” She nodded “Well, I’ll go and get your sister, can you get Nathan?”

I agreed, smiling when I saw Nathan rolling around on the ground while Gemma skipped around him.

Dinner was lovely. We walked to the bus station before taking the bus into the city, Manon all the while grumbling that we could have all squeezed in her car somehow. The restaurant was quite busy with a jolly atmosphere. We felt like a proper family. In a way I guess Nathan was the son my dad had never had. Even though we were all grinning and laughing, it felt bittersweet as I didn’t know when I would be back. I didn’t know when I would see my family again and at the rate Gemma was growing, I would miss so much.

“A toast,” Dad raised his glass into the air and I felt his, mum’s and Gemma’s happy smiles on my face “To my daughter and the young lady she has become,” his gaze then landed on Nathan “And to the young man I have the pleasure of calling my son.” My eyes clouded with tears suddenly “To Evanna and Nathan.” Nathan took my hand that lay on the table and I saw my mum notice.

“To Ev and Nath!” Gemma piped up, raising her glass with a trembling hand.

“To my children.” Mum whispered, blinking back tears of her own.

Six glasses clinked together and my trembling lips managed a pathetic ‘thank you,” before the tears leaked from my eyes. It was dark outside when we left, after Nathan insisted upon paying. I could tell Nathan had realised that my parents were more than willing to pay, but couldn’t really afford it.

I kissed all my family and span Gemma around before Nathan and I set up the sofa in the living room for one last time. Nathan was already sprawled on the bed when I returned from the bathroom, pulling my hair into a bun on the top of my head.

“Okay, this place is a pretty close second to Gloucester on my list of best places ever.” Nathan grinned, looking pained to have to admit it.

“Is that so?” I rolled my eyes, yanking the curtains shut.