Chapter Thirteen

***Nathan’s POV***

“Nath, for the fourth time, get out the bloody bathroom! I’m starting to think you’ve drowned yourself.” It was Max’s turn to wrap his knuckles moodily on the door of the bathroom I had been huddled in for the past hour getting ready.

I sighed wearily, glancing a final time at my reflection in the mirror. I was wearing my white Misfits t-shirt, a bunch of bracelets, chinos and new nike high tops. I had always felt body conscious, not one for parading around in a vest top like Max, but I supposed this was as good as it got.

I jogged down the stairs two at a time, and raced into the car where all the other boys were already waiting.

“Finally, Natalie has finished applying her make up!” Jay teased, making me go red.

“If anyone’s a girl it’s you, bird.” I retaliated smugly, kicking him gently in the shin with the toe of my shoe.

“Oh,Nat, it looks like you applied a little bit too much blusher!” Max laughed hysterically pointing to my cheek. When the rest of the boys burst into laughter, I grumbled and leant my head against the cool glass of the window.

It was completely dark outside as we began the journey to the party Evanna had invited us to. I had told the boys all about Evanna’s song getting to number one and they all cheered rowdily and rushed for the champers. Any old excuse with those boys. They had jumped at the invitation to a celebration party and couldn’t wait to see Evanna and Ceallach again. They also mentioned something about buying the boys of Brain Freeze alcohol as a congratulations but I pleaded with them not to do it, not wanting to get Evanna involved in anything illegal or for her to end up drinking. I hadn’t told the boys why she never drunk and they all thought she was mental for not doing it. I thought she was brave. She’s hinted at what kind of background she comes from and I think she must have a lot of strength to avoid something that has been such a big part of her environment.

“Well, who’s ready to PARTTTAAAY??” Tom was getting hyper even before we arrived.

“Me, for definite.” Siva nodded wisely. “Although, I’ll miss Nareesha…” he looked soppily out the window and Max patted him roughly on the shoulder.

“Well, I am.” Tom said, smacking his lips. “Because I am going to get myself a bird here tonight.” His dark brown eyes twinkling mischeviously.

“WHAT??” Jay shrieked, smashing himself against the window in his desperation to get away from Tom.

“Not you, idiot.” Tom laughed “A girl.” He explained. I felt my stomach tighten.

“Not Sasha, Ev’s friend.” I said firmly, shaking my head.

“What??...erm, I mean, no not here..someone else.” He rushed to correct himself rather unconvincingly. I eyed him suspiciously, I would have to keep an eye on him.

“I bet Jay’s looking forward to meeting Briony!” Siva teased, laughing thickly. A dreamy expression clouded over his face and his eyes became unfocused as he stared into the far distance.

“Remember how old she is.” Max said warningly, trying not to smile “She’s only fourteen.”

“She’ll be fifteen later this year!” Jay protested, holding his palms up innocently “Besides, I said I would wait for her.”

“Reah right!” Tom snorted.

“It will happen you’ll see!” Jay screeched indignantly “Now, how long do I have to wait?” he turned to me for serious answers.

“Till she’s 18.” I said simply, not really knowing where I had conjured up that number from.

“Three whole years!” He slumped back against the seat dramatically.