Chapter 5

Evanna’s POV

 I let the door to my studio swing shut as three dishevelled fifteen year old boys and their manager scurried out of my office. Collectively, the boys formed a band called Brain Freeze and were the subjects of my very first contract. Their manager asked me to help them co-write their first album. After a tiresome day, trying to both write and avoid getting hit on by the boys, a draining combination, I was relieved they had decided to leave. 

Left alone in my studio, I would safely say it was my proudest possession. It was quite small, furnished with a eclectic collection of anything I could cobble together. It was in the East End of London - in a tower block next to thousands of the same type. It was on the top floor, so the view up the river compensated for the concrete jungle that surrounded me. Despite my enthusiasm, my pay was only just covering my rent - of both my flat and the studio - so I was more reliant upon Charlie and my parents more than my pride cared for.  

Seating myself behind my desk I noticed my calender I had pinned to the wall. Today was the day I was supposed to have found out. There was this foreign french band - Tais Toi - that was doing a few gigs over here in London in the O2 given their sudden rise in popularity in England. Being a fan, a francophone and desperate for work I applied for the role of musical director for the London dates. I should have found out about it today. Although I guess I had found out - I hadn't been picked for the post. 

Running my hands frustrated through my hair, I pondered my next move. Continue on like this? Forever striving for something that was so obviously forever outwith my grasp? I thought for a moment of Brett Smiley, who had kickstarted her career in the inudustry at 16 only to divebomb and never make it. A downward spiral of depression followed Brett was no where to be heard of today. The tragedy that was her failure painted an all too realistic picture of what could be my own future.  I desperately began to brain storm but like every other time, came up blank. I threw a ball of scrunched up paper towards the bin, dropping my head angrily to the table when it landed several feet in the other direction. It didn't seem I was capable of doing anything right.

Suddenly, my mobile started vibrating and my head shot up. In my moment of self indulgence I had thought that the vibrations passing from the phone to the table to myself were the symptoms of a heart attack: this might be Fait realising the inevitablity of my failure and deciding my story was one that no longer needed to be told - so it was going to write me off. 

Of course, I realised I was overreacting and that it was my phone causing the vibrations, not my imminent death. 

I glanced at the screen and my heart began to race once more, but not quite for the same reasons. "Hello?" I said in a voice that was definitely a few octaves too loud to belong to me. 

“Em, hey, Evanna. It's - uh - it's Nathan." I liked hearing his voice again. Even if the faulters in his speech made me wonder if he was nervous. 

“Hello, Nathan!” I couldn't explain the grin that exploded onto my expression upon saying his name or the sudden shot of excitment that botled through me when I had been semi-depressed mere moments ago. 

“Care to take me up on my offer of taking you out tonight?” He asked cheekily and I could hear him grinning. Evidently my enthusiasm was encouraging him.

"Yes!" I was nodding emphatically before he could even finish speaking. He laughed. 

“I’m right outside."

“Aw, no!" I suddenly felt bad for him. It was getting dark and miserable outside. I imagined the raindrops sticking to his tanned skin, his wet hair brushed back off of his forehead......Concentrate! I told myself.  “I'm not actually at home Nathan. I'm in the studio...y'know some of us have jobs." I was joking of course - trying to lighten his embarassment.