Chapter Twenty One

The story is getting there, but there's still a fair few chapters to go! Thank you for getting this to 15,000 reads:D As usual, your comments made me tear up a little - you're so kind. So as a thanks - here's the chapter. I think it's quite long. 

Loads of love from me - more love than Nathan has for Stevie Wonder (i.e. loads). x) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nathan had nudged me carefully awake when we arrived at my flat. I had grumbled at bit but he scooped me up and carried me to the door. He had thanked me for coming and ensured me one last time that his family loved me. I shrugged not really knowing what to say.

“You can tell them I love them too.” I smiled “And tell them thank you. For…you know.” I added

“I will tell them you love them.” He paused, and let his eyes flicker up to my own as though on the verge of saying something. I waited patiently; just enjoying watching his expressions as he thought “Ev, I…” he hesitated.

“Yeah?”

“I….” he laughed slightly, relaxing and ran a hand through his hair “Doesn’t matter. I wanted to thank you for telling me – telling all of us – about yourself. About your life in Scotland. It’s good to know to feel comfortable enough around us all to tell us. It made me really happy.”

I didn’t know what to say to that. I felt like bursting into tears and crying all over him. And I was frightened that if I tried to talk that is what indeed would end up happening. So instead I just hugged him. Gripping him so tightly and suddenly, he was slightly startled. But then he laughed and put his arms around me. We stayed like that for a while until Nathan leant in to kiss me. It was sweet and tender and far too short. He told me I needed to sleep and I agreed. I bid him farewell and watched him climb the stairs and then drive away, shaking my head as I tried to come to terms with the fact that he was my boyfriend.

I was surprised to hear Charlie’s voice coming from the living room.

“Charlie, are you still up?” I asked, but stopped as soon as I entered the room. Because it was obvious he was still up. And it was obvious why. Charlie was perched on the left side of the couch. Sasha was sitting on the right. I dragged my eyes are away from their faces and found myself staring at their interlocked hands. Both of their arms were extended, lying on the pillow that acted as a barrier between them, on top of which lay their intertwined hands.

“Did Tom do this?” I whispered, aware of the silence the room had been plunged into since my entrance. No one answered. Charlie couldn’t tear his eyes away from me looking apprehensive. Suddenly there was a rustle and frantic movements and Sasha was stood in front of me. Her tear coated eyes staring deep into my own. Looking for forgiveness I suppose.

She clasped her hands in my own and looked at them. I felt a bit awkward and didn’t really know what to do, so, I too, dropped my gaze to our hands. The way her dark skin compared to my pale skin seemed kind of ironic considering how different we were.

“I don’t know what to say.” She murmured, still avoiding my eyes. “I can only apologise and hope you forgive me. I didn’t mean it.”

I had accepted her apology and hugged her, smilingly. I was happy she was getting back together with Charlie. They both loved each other so much it was silly for them to be apart. And truthfully, I had forgiven her. I didn’t like to keep grudges as much as I didn’t like to lose friends. I was very proud of Tom – I never would have expected this; he was a gentleman. But she had meant it. How could she not have? I was from a rough background. I did experience cheating. But I did not hold it against her. Nothing could take me down from this permanent high.