Chapter Twenty Eight

One of the last few chapters now! Thanks for all you support - every comment, vote, fan and read is the reason I keepy going. Thank you all. xx

***Nathan’s POV***

The week flew past so quickly in a blur of tanned skin, blue skies and smiles. Gemma was a funny little girl – she recognised me from the band and listened to our music, but didn’t seem interested in fan girling. She was quite bright for a five year old and preferred to spend her time outside, poking around in the dirt for bugs or picking flowers. Natalie was easily more immature than both her daughters, and got excited over everything. Henlé seemed a bit wary of me at the beginning, but wasn’t the father always suspicious of his daughter’s boyfriend? But yesterday, he took me out fishing and we bonded a little bit when I told him about our first date, and how much my family liked her. He even called me ‘son’, which Evanna got very excited about when I told her.

All too soon, it was the morning of the day before we went back to London. The orange sun was beginning to seep through the gap between the curtains, casting a warm strip of light over Evanna’s skin. She looked peaceful in her sleep as she lay facing me. Her translucent eyelids were closed and she was so close, I could count every long black eyelash. Her nose was slightly squashed as she leant into the pillow and her lips were pushed together almost grumpily. It made me laugh.

I laid my head back down on the pillow so that my face was millimetres away from Evanna’s and reached out a hand, to find hers. I closed my eyes and linked our fingers, letting myself fall into sleep once more.

My eyes fluttered open. The orange light that had seeped into the room previously had matured into strong yellow daylight and the bed felt cold and empty without Evanna. I pulled on some ankle length chinos and a plain white t – shirt, preparing myself for our final day at the beach when I heard gentle voices murmuring to each other and the tinkling of Evanna’s sparkling laugh. I heard someone hush her and padded over to the kitchen door, meaning to go in. Until I heard my name and I stopped.

“I’ve never had a son, but if I ever did, I would want them to be just like Nathan.” Natalie mused contentedly. I bit my lip, glad to know that’s what she really thought of me.

“Me, too.” Evanna laughed once more “I’m so lucky. He’s more than I deserve.” I frowned slightly, unhappy she actually she thought that.

“Well, I don’t agree with that.” Natalie’s tone sounded brisk “You worry too much, dear. You deserve the best.”

“Thanks mama.”

“So, have you told him everything, then?” I froze, suddenly feeling as though I was interrupting a private moment. But I couldn’t actually make my legs move, I had been curious about this for such a long time.

“Well, he knows about Scotland – ” Ev started quietly.

“But have you told him about – ” Natalie interrupted.

“No, mum.” Ev cut across her, sounding defiant “Not yet. But I will. Someday.”

“Okay, that’s fair. But Nathan does need to know.” I felt hideously guilty hovering outside the door. Evanna didn’t want to tell me yet, therefore I shouldn’t be listening to this, she clearly didn’t want me to. I began to turn away. 

“Please don’t make me feel guilty about this.” Ev pleaded “Besides, I think he might know already. I’ve seen him notice my lip.” My ears pricked up. Her lip? Her thin upper lip? I had noticed it. But I didn’t think I had been staring that obviously. What did her lip have to do with anything?

“Take your hand away.” Ev must have been covering her mouth with her hand like she always does when she’s nervous. “See? Don’t cover it up, it really isn’t that noticeable.”