thirteen

The next morning

Chan

Getting up the next day started like normal. It was almost 10am and I haven't eaten nor showered yet. I had a meeting and mission debriefing with the other members in an hour, and I'm pacing around my apartment like a moron. It's been a week since my date with Jia Mei, yet I can't stop thinking about her.
I want to call her, but at the same time I didn't want to bother her. I sat down on my sofa and stared at my phone as I debated with myself internally.

I just want to quickly check up on her, it wouldn't hurt.

But what if she's still asleep? She might get annoyed if I wake her up.

She seems more of an early bird anyway, just a quick call.

Would it just be a quick call though? Maybe I should invite her out to lunch, or maybe even dinner tonight...

Is she even free tonight? Maybe I'll call tomorrow.

My internal debate went back and forth until I couldn't take it anymore. My mind and logic said no, but I was already picking up my phone and dialing her number. Internally, I began to panic when it started ringing. I couldn't hang up now, I'll just seem like a dick if I do so, but at the same time I CAN'T DO THIS. I'M CALLING HER WHEN I DON'T WANT TO AND I'M SCARED FOR MY LIFE.

I then hear her voice on the other line "Hi Chan," the sound of her calming voice made my heart jump. Scrambling to grab my phone, I cough and try to keep my voice sounding calm as I greet her.

"Good morning, Jia Mei. How are you?"

"I'm doing well today, and you?"

"I'm fine. Have you eaten yet?"

"I'm just having breakfast. Is there a reason you called, Chan?"

I then began to hesitate before speaking "Oh you know, just... Checking up on you." I cringed at my words but kept talking to recover from what I just said "And I-I was also wondering if you have any plans today."

I hear her hum and go silent for a moment, and I began dying inside. I knew I should've called tomorrow, but who would ever imagine such irony? I, a master negotiator that doesn't hesitate at threats or weapons held up to me, but I'm nervous and bumbling over my words like an idiot just from talking to my fiancé. She doesn't even love me!

As I was about to apologize and hang up, she began to speak again and relief was washing over me "Well," she trailed off "I was planning on hanging out with my younger brother today, why?"

Oh. I was slightly disappointed that she wasn't available, so I responded honestly "Ah, I see. I was hoping we could have dinner together, but if you're busy, maybe another time." I was about to hang up, she stopped me.

"Wait, I think this might be helpful for me today."

"Help you with what exactly?"

"Well for a while, Xander has had a crush on his best friend, and I want to know if she'd be a good influence for him if they ever do end up together. So if you come with me, we can turn it into some sort of double date to make it less awkward."

"Looking out for your brother, huh?"

"Yeah. But we also get to spend some time together, so you want to come out and get dinner and dessert with us? I'll ask Xander to bring his future girlfriend."

My lips twisted at the suggestion, it's not exactly want I want, but at least I get to spend some time with her. So with no other options, I agree "Alright, where do I meet you and what time?"