fifteen

Chan

Arriving at the café, I wait outside the shop as I look inside though the window. The café had a simple look to it, and it's décor gave it a soft aesthetic to the atmosphere.
Glancing back down at my phone, I scroll aimlessly down my social media as my mind kept racing about Longwei- poor man. Constantly abused, neglected, and traumatized since he was a child.

To think he went completely insane within the last two years...

He must've snapped when he lost Mei, she was the last good thing in his life before being taken away.

"Chan!" I hear a familiar voice call after me, causing my stomach to flutter. Turning around, I see Jia Mei running towards me with a teenage couple in tow behind her. Smiling, I then take in how beautiful she looked as time slowed down for a moment as she glowed. I then came back into reality as she apologized to me. 

"Sorry for being late, we didn't keep you waiting right?"

"Ah, no. I just got here." I reassured her as she let out a sigh of relief.

"Phew, I was worried for a second. I didn't want to keep you waiting."

She's such a caring woman, another reason I admire her "It's better than you rushing here and getting hurt in the process. What's a few extra minutes?"

We then had a moment of smiling at each other and saying nothing until we were interrupted by the couple standing behind her, awkwardly coughing and shuffling around to get our attention. I guess they're the ones who we're having the "double date" with.

"Oh, sorry." She apologizes to them before introducing them to me "Chan, this is my  brother Xander and that's his best friend Rosamie." She then gestures to me "Xander, Rosamie, this is Lee Chan. He's my fiancée and part of upper-management at Royal One-Seven Company."

I give Rosamie a nod while I shake Xander's hand. We then head inside and get ourselves seated at a nice table, Xander and Rosamie sitting side-by-side while Jia Mei sat next to me. Once we all confirmed what we wanted, Xander and I went up to the cashier to order. Walking up towards the counter and out of earshot from the girls, he finally speaks up "I know you two are engaged to a business deal and all, but I've seen you before with those other men from Royal One-Seven during the few times I was at the Rose Corp building. Have you and my sister been secretly dating prior to all of this?"

I chuckle and shake my head "No, I've only ever been in the same meeting room as her. You've only seen me around because both of our companies our business partners, I'm a manager and representative from Royal One-Seven Company who comes to Rose Corporation for... work twice a week."

He pursed his lips "Ok, I guess I was wrong."

"She's still quite hurt from what happened all that time ago. Why did you ask if I was secretly dating your sister before our 'engagement'?"

"Well to be honest, I at least assumed you had some sort of crush on her. The few times I've seen you with her in the room, you were always looking in her direction." He remarked "It didn't matter where she was in the room, I'd notice you'd be staring at her all the time with a look of admiration in your eyes."

I suddenly tensed up at his words, recalling all those times I thought I wasn't being noticed while staring at her during meetings.

I thought I was being secretive! How did he notice?

"O-oh... I was just... spacing out. Did it look like I was staring at her?"

He gave me a look of doubt before staring at the menu board behind the counter, contemplating what he wanted as he replied nonchalantly "You don't have to be so flustered about it, man. Besides, I can tell you're in love with her."