twenty three

Chan

Ugh, what the hell?

There was a dull pounding in my head that woke me up, my vision very blurry the first few times I blinked. Once my vision became clear, I found myself under a soft blanket and I was still wearing my clothes from the night before.

Wait... Where am I? What happened last night?

I sat up from my spot and looked around to find myself still at Jia Mei's apartment, laying on her couch with a blanket draped over me. Right in front of me was a glass of water and painkillers on the coffee table, where it seems the box of cheesecake and soju bottles seemed to have disappeared.

Then it all started to click as the memories started flooding back, memories of me confessing how I feel and her lips on mine. My face began to heat up as my mind was suddenly full of panic about the unknown. Does she remember anything? Will she say anything? Will she avoid this?

As I was panicking, my eyes began to hurt.

Shit. I'm still wearing contacts.

I quickly ran to the kitchen sink and splashed my face before removing my contacts carefully. Taking out my case from my pocket, I then proceed to put on my glasses. As my eyes were adjusting, I suddenly heard a voice behind me.

"Good morning, Chan." Jia Mei greeted me kindly, but because my guard was down I immediately yelped and fell to the floor.

Now picture: a man in his mid-twenties, on the floor panting because he got startled by the sound of the woman he confessed to saying good morning to him. The guy sounds like quite the loser, right?

Well, that loser is me.

Jia Mei apologized numerous times for suddenly startling me and crouched down to help me up off the floor. Concerned, she asked if I was alright as I adjusted my glasses and cleared my throat.

"So you wear glasses too," she changes the topic suddenly "I would have never guessed."

"Y-yeah, I don't wear them often, but my contacts dried out so..." I wasn't sure where to go with the conversation as it fell silent. At this point I wished the ground would open and swallow me whole, especially since I didn't want to bring up what happened last night.

"So, about last night..." I trailed off, drawing a blank on all words. 

I hadn't even thought out how to talk to her today, how would I talk to her about this? 

"I didn't get too drunk, did I?" I immediately lied on the spot. As much as I do want to talk about the kiss, I'm scared it might make her uncomfortable.

"No," She quietly answers "but if you want to avoid talking about the kiss, I respect your decision."

I was now shaking and heating up from the nervous air around us, but it's best to man up apologize as well as confess while we're sober "Mei, I'm really-"

"I'm sorry for kissing you so suddenly last night. I know we had a moment between us, but it doesn't justify me kissing you without asking." Her voice dripped with shame and guilt, causing me to shake my head vigorously in response.

"N-no! Mei, please I don't mind the kiss, it's just that..." I took a deep breath, ready for the worst "I'm not sure if you were sober enough to remember what happened before the kiss, but I'll just tell you again."

Drinking a glass of water first, I then prepare myself to speak without stumbling over my words nor talking too fast.

"I really really like you, Mei." I state with my whole chest "When I was volunteered against my own will to be your fiancé for this marriage, I didn't expect much of it. I thought I wasn't really going to care; but the moment I met you, something inside me changed- and before I knew it, I was infatuated with you. I thought this crush would fade over the years, but watching you work and lead the company has made me admire you more than I ever thought. And the time we spent together over the past few months had solidified my feelings: I can confidently say that what I feel for you isn't some small crush. Hell, I think I can confidently say that I'm in love with you."