twenty six

Chan

"You got her pregnant?" Was the first thing I asked him as soon as the two sisters left the room.

"I said I was using protection!" He turned and raised his voice at me "Don't you believe me?"

"Of course I do-"

"Then why are you now against me? Have you become so hopelessly in love with Jia Mei that you're on her side too?!"

I stare at him in shock before glaring at him in disappointment, trying my hardest not to punch him in the face for his impulsive words. He then realizes what he said and shook his head "I-I'm sorry, I'm just really on edge about this right now."

He slumps down on the white leather couch in the center of the room. We both stay silent for a couple of minutes before I break the silence by speaking up "Come on, we shouldn't be in here if Mei isn't here."

He then nods as we leave her office, not saying a word to each other as we go our own separate ways.

"Chan!" I hear Hansol call after me, making me stop in my place and turn around so he could catch up to me "There you are, man. Where were you? I've been looking for you since the meeting ended."

"It's... nothing too important. What's up, Sol?"

"I saw you went into Jia Mei's office with Soonyoung and Chaewon and decided to wait for you until you were done." He explains "Anyway, remember when you asked me to analyze that symbol some time back?"

"Yes, why?"

"I don't know completely about this, but I have a theory. Hear me out, ok?"

I nod, waiting for him to continue as we enter the elevator and descend down into the parking garage.

"So ever since we got our assigned our mission from Lady Ari, I was quite suspicious on how she knew so much about the Rose family, I became even more suspicious when she sent a lapel that A) came in a box officially branded under the Rose Corporation and B) your lapel specifically is given to those who marry into the family, and the only other person who has this is Jia Mei's mother, Tae Rin."

"Which was convenient because I needed one. But where are you going with this?"

"Now think about it: have you ever thought how she knew that you were marrying into the family before telling her, along with getting such an exclusive lapel that's only acquired if you're born or married into the family?"

I stood there in silence; he had a point, and I was starting to question all the things I hadn't before.

"This may seem far fetched, but I believe Lady Ari may have some sort of deeper connection to the Rose family than we think."

I ponder his theory for a moment "Interesting. Tell me about what you've found to come to this theory so far, I'd really like to hear the process you went through."

"Will do. By the way, did you bring your car here?"

"Yes, why?"

"I carpooled with Seungkwan this morning to save gas. If you're heading back to the building for the evening, could you drive me as well?"

Agreeing, we step into the parking garage and get into my car. On the drive back to our HQ, we discussed back and forth on his theory. He had brought up some great points, even when I hit him with several rebuttals. Being so caught up in this debate, we ended up ordering food and eating in his apartment for most of the night as he showed me his evidence.

That evening

Once wrapping up our longwinded conversation, I head back to my apartment to turn in for the night. Settling down before receiving a text message on my phone from who I thought was Mei, but it wasn't. It was an unknown number.