twenty

The following morning.

Jia Mei

Ah, my head. What time is it?

A lot of things happened yesterday, a little too much for an engagement party. All I remember is slow dancing with Chan and drinking until he had to drive me home.

Looking around my room, I see that the time on my phone says 2:54pm. Looking a little more past my phone, I see a glass of water and painkillers on my bedside table with a note:

Get lots of rest today, Mei. You drank a lot last night -Chan

I smiled at his caring and consideration for me, but then my stomach sunk in realization. My drunk behaviour can be very... unprofessional and embarrassing.

I hope I didn't say or do anything to make him uncomfortable.

Stretching, I yawn as I get up from my bed and leave my room to go to the kitchen. While brewing some oolong tea, I hear a loud thud coming from Chaewon's room. Curious, I get up from my spot at the kitchen table and knock on her door gently.

"Chae?" I say in a soft tone "Chae are you ok?"

I suddenly heard some scrambling and her whispering to someone before answering me "Y-Yeah! I just tripped!"

"Are you sure you're ok? It sounded like you fell pretty hard."

"Of course! I'm fine, I really am!"

I then started to become suspicious "Ok then... Is it alright if I come in, then? I brewed you some tea."

There was a pause before she responded "Sure, Mei! I-I could really use some tea."

"Ok!" I fake a joyous tone as I go get a tray and place her empty mug, the teapot, along with the sugar bowl and creamer and back to Chaewon's door, feigning innocence as my worries began to being evident to coming true as I spoke "Could you open the door? My hands are a bit occupied!"

I didn't hear anything from her until the door opened a few seconds later and I allowed myself in. Her blinds were open, her sheets were a mess, and it was all seemingly calm, but that didn't stop me from being suspicious as I laid the tray down on her bedside table and sat on her bed.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her "I noticed you and Soonyoung had a lot to drink last night."

She blushed "O-oh, yeah. I guess we did. I'm feeling quite sluggish today, though."

"I see, anything happen yesterday? I didn't really see you come home."

All she did was gulp and shake her head "N-Nope! We just got a ride from one of the other guys and then he went home with them!"

"Is that so?" I arch an eyebrow "Then why are his shoes and coat still at the door?"

Chaewon's face suddenly went pale as she was sweating bullets, looking like her soul had just disappeared and her body became an empty husk. I then look around the room before saying aloud "Soonyoung, you can reveal yourself now."

After a moment of silence, I hear him sigh and he just unveils himself from under the sheets behind her, shirtless and ashamed. I then rolled my eyes at both of them "No matter how hard you try, you can never fool me Chae."

They both remained silent and avoided my eyes, not wanting to look at me while in a state of both hungover and disappointment. Tired of the silence, I took a deep breath and rationalized the situation, speaking more carefully and not letting my rage get the best of me "But I shouldn't be policing you nor Chaewon's lives at all."