fourteen

Jia Mei

I still had time to do some stuff before I had to leave the house, so I decided to work from home for a bit. Opening my laptop, I opened up my emails and began reading some and replying to some, along with sending Chan the address of the café. As I was filtering through every email I've received, I suddenly got a call from Xander.

"Xander?" I answer.

"Hey sis! We're still hanging out today, right?"

"Of course, why? Do you have other plans?"

"No- Yes, well..." he mutters for a moment.

"Xander, tell me the truth."

"Ok, ok! Rosamie asked me if I wanted to get food with her after school and I don't want to go back on our plans, sis." He answers me truthfully "And I don't want to ditch her either, so... Can she come with us? I get it's our sibling hangout-"

"Xander, calm down." I tell him, I couldn't help but chuckle at how panicked he sounds "I was going to ask you to bring her anyway, Chan wanted to bring me to dinner, so I invited him to with us instead. It'll be a double date."

He went silent for a moment before exclaiming all happy and ecstatic "Really?!"

"Yes really." 

"Great! I'll have to go tell her- wait, who's Chan?"

I paused for a moment before asking "...Dad didn't tell you about him?"

"No, I was busy studying for entrance exams." He reminds me "Tell me about what?"

I take a deep breathe and brace myself for his reaction "Chan's my fiancée, Xander. We're in an arranged marriage."

"He's your WHAT?!"

The next fifteen minutes consisted of him screaming in my ear about how he never knew and how surprised he is, before I reassured him that everything was ok.

"Are you sure you're going to be ok with a business deal that's going to be labeled as a marriage? Even after what happened?"

He may not pay attention often when it comes to the company, but Xander still cares about how I feel- especially when it's in regards to or acknowledges my messy breakup. However, I reassure him "I'm fine. It was unexpected, but I'm sure we'll learn to enjoy each other's presence over time."

Or whatever the hell this strange feeling is.

Ending our phone call, I finish up the rest of my work before getting myself ready for the double date that would be happening soon. As I was getting ready, I suddenly became conscious of what I was going to wear and how I looked. After trying to style my hair nicely and rummaging my closet for an hour, I settled on a cute look--a black pleated maxi skirt with a pastel green sweater tucked in, and a pair of white sneakers. Checking myself in the mirror and applying some makeup. While applying my lip gloss, I slow down and eventually stop as I realize what I was doing- yes I was getting ready to go out, but I was more confused as to why I was putting in so much effort the first place.

Why am I suddenly so worried about how I dress now? It's just a double date with Xander and Rosamie. It's probably going to be the most casual thing ever. 

I did say it was a double date with Chan though... but why am *I* taking the "date" part so seriously?

I then noticed the time. I had no time to keep contemplating and questioning myself, I still had some errands to run before the two finish school!  I immediately grabbed my bag and head straight for the door.