Knights & Nightmares

The six Knights of Ren practiced under the supervision of their master. Ren watched closely, monitoring their progress, sensing any weakness and adjusted the hologram scenario to focus on their individual weak spots. This holotech was typically used to train and reprogram the Stormtroopers, but with some adjustments he had found it most effective on the Knights.

As former students of Luke Skywalker they were all skilled with the force. The night Luke had betrayed Ben Solo the Knights had joined him and together they decimated the Jedi training temple.

Quillon Ren had always been strong with both sides of the force, but once the temple burned he and the others had slaughtered those who would not join them. That evening marked their transition to the dark side. From that night on Quillon had proved himself a powerful dark side user and his power grew with each day.

Kylo had given everything to the dark side. He was the master of the Knights of Ren. He had slaughtered countless. He had trained under Snoke. He had killed Han Solo. Why then was he the one with a constant infuriating pull to the light?

"Supreme Leader."

Ren turned to facing the younger man. Helmet removed Quillon's short red hair was a bright contrast to his ebony armor.

"You and the others will lead the search for the rebels and their leadership." He paused for a moment, "If you find the girl bring her to me."

Quillon gave a sharp but respectful nod. "Yes sir."

  ——><—— ——><—— ——><—— ——><——

Death.

Darkness.

Emptiness.

Visions swirled in his mind unclear but frightening. Images of his father showing him how to fly the Falcon and then suddenly a lightsaber illuminating his dying body. My son is alive.

Then his mother Leia screaming in agony, from what he did not know, but try as he might he  could not find her. Ben!

Rey's broken voice echoed in the background. Please don't go this way.

Ren woke with a start. Heart pounding against his chest. Beads of sweat slid slowly down his face. He was used to unpleasant dreams but this had been different. Was the force giving him these visions for a reason? Or was it merely his minds way of torturing him?

Deciding on the later and not wishing to repeat the process Ren got up and stopped suddenly seeing a figure across from him.

He almost did not recognize her with her hair down. Rey was asleep. Curled up into a small ball on his floor. He studied her trying to pick up any detail to her whereabouts.

Nothing.

Searching her mind was useless. The last time he had tried to reach into her mind through the force bond nothing had happened. Nothing good had come of this bond. Only pain and suffering.

They both felt abandoned. Alone. Scarred even. They both needed the other to turn. When he had offered himself to her she had rejected him and he resented her for it.

Why?

Why couldn't she understand?

He needed her to rebuild. He could not do it alone. He did not want to.

Alone.

Empty.

But not with her.