21

After lunch with the Hemmings' and the delicious strawberry pie Liz made, we played some board games. Luke told me it's what his family used to do on Sunday afternoons, have another family over and play all sorts of games. I smiled, liking to get to know what lukes childhood was like.

After a couple more hours, Luke decides we should go home after I yawn once, even though it's only 4:00, and I don't bother arguing.

I'd hoped he tension between Luke and his dad would ease up a bit through the night, but it only seemed to get thicker, which is part of the reason I think Luke wanted to leave. Their interactions with each other were unusually polite, as if they were resentful strangers, almost. Trying to look pleasant to public.

I sit in the car leaning against Luke like before, his hand on my thigh rubbing circles.

"What happened with you and your dad?" I ask gently.

"Just, like I said. We don't get along." I frown. I've told him lots about my last and the problems I have and he's closing off to me.

"Luke." I try to keep my voice gentle as I look up at him, and he glances down at me, kissing my head.

"He doesn't think I'm, I don't know, mature or something. Especially not after what happened with your mom, and he thinks- he doesn't like that-" he winces as he tries to look for a way to say it.

"That you're with me?"

"Not you." He promises. "Just, someone your age." He winces again, realizing that maybe wasn't the best way to put it, and looks at me. I smile and kiss his cheek, saying I don't mind and I understand what he means. "He thinks it's some, oh I don't know, crazy act of rebellion against society. He thinks I need to grow up and get a 'real job', despite the thriving band. And I've always thought he was too harsh and restrictive. Like, I had to fight him every step of the way to be in the band, when my mum loved the idea. I don't know why he was so against it. My whole life him and my mum have argued about what the kids can and can't do, my mum always supporting us and wanting us to venture out, and my dad always thought it was too dangerous or too... something. Last time we saw each other we kind of just blew up, and I ended up storming out of the family dinner." He traces patterns on my thigh as he speaks, and I grab the hand and intertwine it with mine. "I know it's dumb compared to-"

"No. It's not. It sicks to fight with your parents." I agree. He smiles and kisses me quickly.

"Drive, don't pay attention to me!" I laugh and push his head back to facing the road.

"What, are you scared?" He asks, then swerves the car a bit as I giggle. There's no one else on the highway for a bit but I still don't want him getting pulled over.

"Luke, stop it!" I giggle as he jerks the car the other way.

"Hmm, what was that?" He asks as he does it again.

"Daddy! Stop." I laugh and he chuckles.

"Okay. I'll drive right. But only if you give me a kiss." He smiles cheekily.

I shake my head and smile, turning my attention away from him and to my nail beds.

He swerved the car again unexpectedly and I fall to the side slightly. He jerks the car the other way and I laugh.

"Daddy, stop! Luke!" I giggle.

"LUKE!" I say as a car comes up behind him on his left side too fast, and he almost hits them when he swerves. They honk and get in front of him as he straightens the car out.

I roll my eyes as he smiles apologetically. "Ok, ok, I'll stop." He mumbles, looking slightly startled himself.

I take my hand away from his and he puts and starts rubbing my thigh again.

"I'm sorry babygirl." Luke chuckles as he squeezes my thigh, and I try to keep up my annoyed act.

"Princess?" He pouts as he glances at me.

"Hey. Stop that." He whines, nudging me with his elbow as I ignore him.

"Stop being maaadddd." He pouts, and I let the smile take over my face.

"Oh, you faker. So rude." He pokes my side before going back to rubbing my thigh. I intertwine our hands again and he smiles. "I was gonna get you icecream, but now, I don't know." He teases.

"I deserve ice cream. You almost killed me."

"I did not! If anything I would've got hit. And it wouldn't kill anyone." He scoffs.

"I should still get ice cream."

"Whatever my princess wants." Luke chuckles and I kiss his cheek before laying my head back on his shoulder.

We get icecream at some random cute little shop off the highway in a small town.