twelve

Haneul wasn't always blunt and sarcastic

Haneul wasn't always blunt and sarcastic. Like other female teenagers, she believed in storybook endings and Prince Charmings.

She had a Prince Charming as a 16 year old. She kept her Prince Charming out of the reach of the wicked girls that wanted him for two years. She succeeded until he broke up with her.

A month later, Haneul caught her former Prince Charming kissing a new princess on the lips. Her soft heart broke at that point. She ran away and never talked to him again.

She ignored him for the rest of the school year until graduation, where she never saw him again.

Haneul never knew the true reason why he broke up with her. She only assumed that her feet grew out of the glass heels.

Haneul hummed a soft melody as she stared out of her window. Her head rested against the frame and the cool breeze made her squint her eyes.

Her soft humming eventually grew into louder singing. She began to sing her own personal song. It was a sadder song that reflected how she felt after her first heartbreak.

Haneul would never admit that to anyone. She hated how she sounded like a naive teenager if she explained that. She didn't like to be underestimated or weak.

Whenever she sang the song, her heart would feel heavy, but her eyes never did. Tears never left her eyes and she didn't want them to. The redness in her eyes, the puffiness around her eyes, the redness on top of her nose that made her look like Rudolph—she hated all of that.

A soft knock interrupted her singing. Hanuel stared at the wooden door, contemplating on whether or not she should answer.

There was no point in pretending that she wasn't in the room since the person probably heard her singing. Haneul wrapped her pastel pink hoodie around her body, shrugging up the collar to cover her face.

She opened the door, peaking her head out of the corner of her doorway. "Hoseok?"

He grinned. "Hi, Hanuel. I just heard your singing from next door and I got inspired. Mind if I come in?"

Haneul nodded. "Sure, come in. I'll get my notebook."