eighteen

"Is he your boyfriend?"

Haneul jumped and the photo fell out of her hands. "Hoseok! Don't do that again! You nearly gave me a heart attack."

Hoseok laughed and picked up the photo for her. "You two look so happy together. Congratulations. How long have you two been together?"

Haneul shook her head as she took the photo back. "We're not together anymore. It was all in the past."

"Then let me rephrase my question. How long were you two together?"

Haneul chuckled. "You're a piece of work, you know that?"

Hoseok smirked. "It's from all the hard dancing I do."

"I'm sure it is. Anyway, we dated for two years. Something happened and then we aren't together anymore. It's as simple as that."

"That's a such a shame. Is this who you met up with last week?" Hoseok asked, closing the space between Haneul.

Haneul didn't notice as her mind went into shutdown mode. "How do you know about that? Did Namjoon tell you?"

"Yeah, he doesn't keep secrets that well. At least from me. He tried—really, he did. I'm just very persuasive."

"I know you are," she replied. "I figured that part out on my own."

Hoseok slung his arm over her shoulders. "Do you miss him?"

Haneul thought about it before looking up at the beautiful human next to her. "Yeah, I kind of do. Is that bad?"

He shook his head. "No. People miss things all the time—even when they shouldn't. That's just human nature. We do things we're told not to do and we ignore things we shouldn't ignore."

"We should put that in 'Vanilla.' It would make a great lyric," Haneul responded, pulling out her notebook.

"You never fail to think about work, do you?"

"Of course not. Working in the music industry is all about ambition and hard work," Haneul said, casting a smile to him.

Hoseok smiled back. "You never cease to impress me."