Chapter Fifteen

I borrowed Matt's truck after dinner at the Tesch's. Sarah was a little skeptical about me seeing my mama, but I know deep down she knew that it would be the right thing.

There was a quiet hum from the radio as I drove a few miles from my second family. Uintah is a very small town only about 10 by 20 miles, but a bit of the outskirts of some ranches are either part of our town or the next town over. I slowly pulled up to the gate with the sign hanging over: "Uintah Cemetery".

Suddenly after I read those words the music seemed to hurt my ears, so I quickly turned it off. My phone buzzed next to me on the console, and I picked it up. I smiled when I saw who it was.

T: Three days until I get to see you Gem.

I laughed at this crazy man. He's been blowing up my phone for the last few hours. To the point where I had to turn my phone completely off, because Matt kept giving me a suspicious look. Matt has always been like an older brother and he has this sense of protectiveness when it comes to my brothers and I.

A: Man Cowboy, you miss me already? You're going to start to lose your playboy reputation.

The familiar swoosh warning me that I sent the text to a young man that makes my thoughts run in wild in a good way.

T: If it's for you Gem, I'd be just fine for losing my "playboy reputation".

I smiled at these words. But I knew that I needed to talk to my mom, so with that I turned my phone on silent and put it in my back pocket. I twisted the key in the ignition towards me to turn off the Chevy. I slowly opened the door and set my feet on the gravel. I then shut the fire and took a big, deep breath. Giving myself a small pep talk, I begrudgingly started walking towards my mother's grave.

As I approached her headstone I noticed that they cleaned up the landscaping a bit more. Making the place seem more... beautiful. I read my mother's headstone as I stood in front of her and smiled remembering how her personality was.

"Here lies Michelle Diane Jennings. A wife and a dearly loved mother and friend. May her spirit live on." With a horse engraved below it.

My mother was an amazing woman. She always put other people's needs before hers, no matter how big or small.
"Hi Mama," I started, still trying to pick my words carefully. "I know it's been a while and it shouldn't have been. But it's hard to face you. Especially after..." I just let my words trail off. I couldn't finish that sentence. "Gage is doing good, he's almost finished with high school and has become quite a heartbreaker." I smiled at my troublesome brother. "It's hard to imagine that he's 17. Colter and Rhett are still their mischievous selves. Not that those two boys will ever change. They're 15 year old twins for heaven's sake." I laughed at this.

"Timber is doing good, she's come a long way. I think that you would be proud to see how far we've come." I smiled at the memory of my mother and I and how she made me a 13 year old girl train the wild three year old.

"I'm met someone Mom. I don't know if it means something yet, but he makes me feel special and has so far helped me forget about Hunter. Even though he doesn't realize it." I laughed about that. Tatum has no idea what he is doing to me.

I glanced up at the sky and realized that it's going to be dark in a few minutes. I sighed, "I love you Mama. I miss you and I know that you watch over me after every ride. I'll try to come see you soon." With that, I turned around and walked back to the truck. Once I got to the driver door, I glanced over the hood and glanced at my mother's grave. I smiled a little and opened the door, started the truck, and drove back to Pop's diner to get a double chocolate milkshake.
***********
As I sat in the booth awaiting my milkshake, I pulled out my phone and realized that I had 10 message notifications. With that I decided to open them.

Jordan: I'm sleeping in the loft tonight. Didn't know if you wanted to join me or not. I'll be up tonight waiting for you if you want to talk about it.

I smiled, it feels good to k ow that my best friend is there for me. A few were from Matt and Sarah. Basically asking or telling the same thing that Jordan said. But then I saw another one from Tatum.

T: You know Gem, it's really rude to leave a man hanging.

I smirked, knowing exactly how I wanted respond.

A: I didn't realize that you were a man Tatum, because all that I see is a young boy.

T: You know Gem, I can prove to you that I'm not a little boy. Because I'm a pretty... big boy. ;)

My heart thudded at the double meaning. But then I rolled my eyes and scoffed.

A: Wow Cowboy, you don't need to prove it to me. I'm sure you are a pretty... big boy. But it's a shame that I don't really care.

T: That's rude Gem. Most girls would want some of this.

I rolled my eyes at him.

A: Well I'm not most girls Tatum.

At this point my milkshake arrived and I thanked the waitress. I started sipping on my delicious milkshake and noticed that Tatum texted me back.

T: I know you're not Amber. That's one of the reasons that I like about you. 

I smiled a small smile and felt a flutter of happiness.

A: I'll see you in St. George.

T: See you then Gem. (: