Chapter Sixteen

It was the day before Jordan and I were going to leave for the St. George rodeo, and she was going out with her brother for brunch. While she was finishing getting ready I went downstairs towards the kitchen. As I opened the door I noticed that Brookie was sitting in the breakfast nook with her head in her hands. As I got closer I noticed that her phone was on in front of her with text messages from Colter.

Oh my, what has my brother done this time? He has no clue what he is missing out on. I made her scoot over and plopped down next to her.

"What's he done this time?" I asked. I looked at her and she looked shocked that I knew exactly what was going on between her and my brother.

"Nothing," she says, trying to shrug it off.

I gave her a look, "Don't you dare give me that crap Brooklyn." She gulped, because it is very rare that I use her given name. She sighs and gives me the look that she is gathering her thoughts.

"He just confuses me is all." Brookie says. I give her a look to finish. "Okay, so he kissed me the other day after we went on a date. He was walking me home from Pop's and after he kissed me he just blew me off completely. I thought that maybe he just didn't know exactly know what to do after that, so I left him be for a few days. But now he's saying that he wants to talk and I'm scared of what he wants to talk about. He sounded pretty serious."

I mentally rolled my eyes. That's what she was worried about? I calmed myself down and looked at her.

"Brookie if my brother messes something up he'll realize it pretty quick." She laughs at that knowing that it is true. "And my mama always said that the only boys teenage girls need are geldings. But in this case I wouldn't worry, because Colter is crazy about you and I know that you're crazy about him."

She smiled a grateful smile, "So, I should say that I want to meet up?" I nod, who knows what that funny boy is up to.

"You want some food?" I ask her.

She looks at me, "Do you really have to ask?" I laughed at that and shook my head. I then proceeded to make Belgian waffles, bacon, and eggs. As I poured some of the batter onto the waffle maker, Matt comes stomping in with his big feet.

"Sweet! You have food for me!" He declares. I roll my eyes as he tries to pick at a already finished waffle on a plate. I smack his hand and he pulls it back.

"Ow! That hurt!" He says, whining and feigning hurt.

I roll my eyes, "Oh grow up Matt. Stop being such a baby." He scoffs at me and sits down on a stool across from me. I three plates and place eggs, bacon and waffles upon them. I handed Brookie one with a fork and reluctantly handed one to Matt.

"Thank you," Matt and Brookie said at the same time. I just hummed in response. I dug in to the homemade waffles and we all ate in silence. I heard a scrape of a chair and noticed that Brookie was getting up. She rinsed her dishes and placed them in the dishwasher.

"I'm going out to the barn," she said and I nodded in response. She left the kitchen and Matt cleared his throat.

I glanced up with and he began saying words that I knew I would dread hearing. "So, when were you going to tell me about you and this boy you met?"

I looked at him dead in the eyes, "When were you going to tell me that you and Alayna are getting more serious?" I could see Matt visibly gulp. "Matt there isn't anything serious going on between me and this boy. We went on one date, we kissed once, which surprised me. And we have been texting. I don't think that it will go anywhere. I don't know if I'm ready for that." By this point my hands were clenching the counter and having a dreadful flashback.
********flashback***

"Hey baby." Hunter said sweetly to me. I glanced up from some paperwork and smiled at him.

"Hey Hunter." I said and went back to finishing the last few papers. I could feel behind me and his hands on my waist.

"Why don't you come and let's go to Pop's or something." He said.

"As inviting as that sounds, I really need to finish this. My deadline is tomorrow." I said. Still writing and shuffling papers.

"I don't think you realize, that this isn't me asking you," He says while squeezing my hips, hard, causing me to grimace, "This is me telling you, Amber."

"Hunt, can you please just give me 15 more minutes and then I will come to Pop's with you." I ask, with so much hope in my voice, silently praying that he won't hurt me tonight. They next thing I know I'm thrown against the wall to the right of the desk.

"Amber I'm not going to ask again," he says his voice dropping with venom. I nod my head quickly, trying to avoid getting hurt worse.

"Okay," I whisper.

******end of flashback*****

"Amber?" I feel something touch my hand and flinch. "Did you just have another one? You need to snap out of it." By that time my head has finally registered that it was Matt that touched me.

"I'm sorry," I say, "It was just a memory. Can we talk about this later?" Matt nods his head and I hear the doorbell ring. "I'll get it." I say and walk towards the door. I open he door and am shocked to see who it is.

"Alayna."