Chapter Twenty-Seven

Tatum was right after me in the tie-down. After our trail ride we went out separate ways to get ready. I put on a nice button up with jeans and braided my long, brown hair before I put on a white straw hat. I grabbed Timber after letting her rest for a little while. I only let her have some water so she won't stress her stomach and colic. 

I brushed her out and saddled up after an hour and a half. As I was walking over to the warm-up arena one of the announcers came up to me. 

"Amber Jennings?" he asked.

"Yes?" I said and hopped off Timber. 

"We heard you can sing good and the lady doing the national anthem got sick and pulled out. Do you think you'd be willing to sing for us?" he quickly asks. 

"Uhh..." I stuttered for a second, "Sure."

"Great!" he said with a clap of his hands, "We need you to head over to the announcer's stand immediately."

"Ok, I'll hurry and tie her up and head over," I told him and he nodded his head and we walked away.

I quickly walk Timber back to my trailer and put her halter back on to tie her up. I head to the stand and the rodeo begins just when I arrive. The flag girls rush around the arena with the flags of the rodeo's sponsors and I'm guided to a flatbed truck to sing on. The flag girls exit as I enter and one of the girls comes back in with the American flag. I made sure I had my pitch as the truck parked in the center of the arena and I took off my hat. The whoopie girl lopes around the arena. 

The rodeo announcer says a few words before I begin, "We want to thank up and coming rodeo star, Amber Jennings for agreeing to fill in for us at such short notice. Amber Jennings everyone!"  Everyone cheers and then stands up and puts their right hand on their heart. 

"O say can you see!..." I start the anthem and continue. Once I sing the last note the crowd goes ballistic. The truck leaves the arena and the people in the box thank me and I go back to Timber.

I grabbed Timber and we walked to the warm-up arena. The rodeo was finally in full swing. Once we finished warming up I watched some saddle bronc riding and then it went into a few barrel races. I watched the rodeo committee bring in the steers for tie-down and started practicing my swing. 

In the corner of my eye I could see Tatum talking to some girls and I tried to swallow the pang of jealousy I felt. I focused my attention on the few tie-down runs before mine and picked them apart. I so focused that I nearly fell out of my saddle when I heard a deep voice directly next to me. 

"Back into singing, huh?" the voice asks and I whirl around to look at who's talking to me. There standing in all his twisted and ugly glory was Hunter. I inhaled a sharp breath. I should've known he'd stop by after I saw him at the grocery store. 

"Hunter." I say with an edge in my voice and turn away from him. I couldn't let him get to me especially before my run. 

"How you doing Am?" he asks. Some people might say he was being courteous and talking to an old friend but I knew what he was doing. He was trying to worm his way into my conscience and that wasn't going to happen.I chose to ignore him. His iron grip squeezed my thigh, "I said 'how are you?' You don't get to ignore me."

It's interesting how I pick at the differences between his and Tatum's voices. Hunter's is deep but it holds nothing but hatred and maliciousness. But Tatum's is stern but calming. It brings me comfort and calms me down. 

"I'm fine Hunter. Now, let. Me. Go." I say getting down into his face. I see his hand raise, itching to hit me, but he realizes that we're in public and he can't sacrifice being seen.

Hunter gave me that sick of look his and puts his voice low so only I can hear, "We're not done Amber, mark my words. We are not done." 

I look at him, "We were done two years ago Hunter. Get it through your damn thick skull. Now." 

"You have your warning Jennings." He gives me one last hard squeeze and then takes off. I took a deep, shaky breath. My leg was aching from the harsh grip he had on my leg.

"Miss Amber? We need you to line up, you're up in three." A man came up to me said and I shook my head to clear my thoughts. 

"I'm coming," I said and headed over to get ready to get in the box. 

*****                                      

I looped my rope around, put my piggin' rope in my mouth, and backed Timber into the box. Timber kept tossing her head and stomping her foot, ready to go and do her job. I concentrated on the calf's head and turned out the noise of the audience. I nodded and the guy unleashed the steer. Timber immediately followed. 

My rope flung in the air a couple of swings before I launched it to go around the calf's neck. Timber quickly stopped and I hopped off soon after. I ran to the little calf and tied three of its legs together. I threw my hands up and Timber kept the rope taught as the flagger waved the mini flag to signal the stop of the clock. 

"That was the up and coming rodeo star Amber Jennings with an amazing seven seconds, flat." the rodeo announcer bellowed into the microphone. The crowd screamed and I walked over to Timber and got back on. One of the volunteers handed me my rope and I turned towards the exit of the arena. 

When I turned I didn't expect to see Tatum West cheering along with the crowd on the fence. I blushed and walked out. I started toward my trailer but heard my name being called. At first I panicked thinking it was Hunter but then noticed the distinction in the voices. I turned in my saddle and signaled for Timber to stop. 

Tatum showed up in front of me with a cute, goofy grin. "That was an awesome run!"

I smiled back, "Thank you."

"And I didn't know you could sing like that," he exclaimed. I blushed and just shrugged. 

"You gonna come watch my run?" he asked.

"Of course." I smiled and I felt really excited. 

*****

A/N: Hey guys I'm really sorry for the long wait, but hopefully I can update either tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks for all of the encouraging comments!

Have a good day! 

~Kay