Chapter Twenty-Four

People always questioned why I do rodeo. And my answer is always simple, "Because it's something I love." Normally that kind of answer isn't always good enough for some people, but it's the truth and it's the only answer that I can give without exposing my past. 

And my past is definitely something I don't want in the open.

After the 18-hour drive to Mesquite in Texas, I registered for the rodeo and got my stall assignment for Timber. Getting her all situated is probably the easiest task to do. But I enjoy it. Timber has gotten a bit anxious and I think it's because Cora isn't here. Feed bag, shavings down, and water filled, she is all set for the night. 

I found a spot to hookup my trailer next to a few others and backed it in smoothly. I then proceeded to get every thing outside situated and finally climbed into bed.

*****

Timber used to be a horse that you had to keep moving in order to keep her somewhat sane, but she's calmed down a lot this past year. Jordan called me this morning telling me about a stupid fight she got in with her mom about Jordan's boots. Let's just say that Megan hasn't always been the most supportive person on earth. It felt good hearing Jordan and knowing that she's getting back to her normal self.

My thoughts were running wild about and her accident, and then they drifted to Tatum. About whether or not I'd see him, and maybe quite possibly I could be something serious with him. I immediately got after myself for thinking those thoughts. Tatum doesn't want me in his life, and that's a good thing. 

My barrel run was approaching fast and I'll be roping tomorrow night. I finished warming up Timber and let her rest a bit. I don't like letting her getting too anxious before a run. There were five more people before me and I was excited but slightly nervous. 

Two more people. I don't like paying attention to times but I like critiquing runs so I know what to do and not to do. 

*****

The ring from my phone startled me awake and I tiredly reached for my phone.

 T: I didn't have my good luck charm last night. :'(

I rolled my eyes but I couldn't the small smile that fell onto my face.

A: I'm sure you're just fine Cowboy.

I tried to wipe the tiredness out of my eyes and sat up in bed. 

T: I'm hurt Gem.

A: I'm sure your pride is still intact.

T: Come on Gem, can't a guy get a little credit over here?

A: And what exactly am I giving you credit here for Mr. Tatum West?

T: That I made you smile that beautiful smile of yours.

Well shit.

He was right. I was smiling. This man made me smile. 

A: You're too cocky for your own good Cowboy.

T: Maybe. But I'm your Cowboy ;)

I snorted.

T: Why'd you leave Gem?

I sighed. I thought about my answer.

A: I needed to get away. I couldn't be in St. George anymore.

T: I understand. Well, I really want to see you. Maybe another date soon?

A: We'll see Mr. West. 

T: Looking forward to it Gem ;)

I laughed. This man was persistent. I glanced at the time, 1:45 AM. I laid down and snuggled back into my covers.

A: I'm at the rodeo in Mesquite.

A: Texas

I plugged my phone in since I forgot to earlier. When my phone went off once again.

T: Lucky for you a certain brown haired boy Cowboy was already planning on going to that rodeo.

I cracked a smile and a wave of giddiness ran through me. 

A: Well a certain Gem can't wait to see this Cowboy.

I held my breath. I haven't been bold with a guy in a long time.

T: Goodnight Beautiful. Sleep well and I'll see you soon. :)

A: Goodnight. See you soon. :)

Another wave of happiness and excitement ran through me. Maybe, just maybe, I can welcome Tatum into my life. With that thought in mind and a small on my face, I fell asleep.

*****

A/N: Y'all should be proud. I updated withing a week of the last chapter and this one!! Haha! Well I have two competitions this week so I'll be a little busy. Hopefully I'll have an update next week! Let me know what you guys think in the comments. I would appreciate some feedback! Thank you to all who take the time to read this. 

Vote! Comment! And have a great day!

Until Next Time! ~Kay