Chapter Twenty

We walked into a small cafe and it instantly made me think of home. The retro booths and the quiet hum of old country music from a boombox. It was about 10:30 PM, so not a lot of people were here. There was a small sign that mentioned to customers to seat themselves and we walked to a corner booth. I was in awe of the detail and how similar it was to Pop's. We sit down and Tatum was looking right at me when he spoke.

"What are you thinking?" he asks me, and I jump a little in surprise at how coarse his voice since we last spoke. 

"Oh, I was just thinking about how much this place makes me think of home," I tell him honestly. Whenever I was at Pop's it was always a good place to create happy memories.

"Hi I'm Audrey and I'll be taking your orders today," one of the waitresses exclaims in a chirpy voice. I could see her eyeing Tatum and I instantly felt a wave of jealousy, which I shouldn't be feeling. "What can I get you guys?" she questions, keeping most of her attention on Tatum and briefly looking at me.

"I'll have your Original Hamburger, with fries, and a coke, please." he tells her and than he hands her his menu. I see her touch his fingers while grabbing the menu and I clench my fists, attempting to control the urge to lunge at her. But then I suddenly panic at not knowing what I want, so I quickly go with the first thing I see on the list. 

"And you?" she questions in a bored tone. 

"I'll get the chicken tenders please and a lemonade." I tell her, losing the energy to fight her, for now.

"Any sauce?" she asks after writing down my order.

"Honey Mustard, please." It was a habit to use my manners constantly, if I didn't do it I would get in some deep trouble. 

"Alright, I'll get that right out," she says after finishing writing down the orders. She then leaves after winking at Tatum. There was a slight awkward silence, but I think it was because of me. 

"So this place brings good memories?" he asks and I nod my head. 

"Except," I say into those beautiful eyes, "I don't know if the food can even compare to the diner back at home." 

"Is that so?" he says he grins mischievously, "I guess we'll just have to see then." I roll my eyes. Nothing can ever compare to Pop's. I look over and notice that Audrey is coming over with our plates of food. She places the correct order in front of us and we both thank her. She doesn't leave which pisses me off. 

"So cowboy," the annoying waitress says looking at only Tatum with a predatory gaze, " Are you competing in the rodeo?"

Tatum nods his head, "Yup, me and Amber. " He gestures towards me  and Audrey again briefly glances at me with annoyance as if I'm interrupting her. I clench my fists and try really hard not to throw her to the ground and punch her.

"That is amazing!" she says, placing her hand on his shoulder, "I would love to come watch you. I bet you look amazing riding that bull." 

Does this girl just always automatically assume that all men in the rodeo ride bulls? I mean he does but it still bugs. 

"Oh," Tatum starts, chuckling slightly, "I guess so. Ams may agree with you." I look into his eyes as he mentions my name. I was glaring at my food to keep from hurting the waitress.

"Well I mean you aren't bad Tatum," I say to him, deciding that it would be funny to outweigh his confidence. 

"Are you kidding me honey?" he says, "You and I both know that I'm the next best thing." Man, he is so cocky. Before I could speak the witch interrupts me.