Chapter Twenty-Five

My alarm went off at 7 A.M. and I slowly crawled out of bed. Looking out the window I noticed that the sun just recently came up. I walked to my boots and put them on along with my jacket. I walked outside and was instantly hit with the early morning smell. I walked to Timber with a couple flakes of hay to feed her and cleaned out her stall. I grabbed her bucket to go fill up with water and in the process, I ran into someone.

"We gotta quit meeting like this Gem," A deep voice chuckled. And to be honest, I'm really liking hearing that voice in the morning.

"Sorry Cowboy," I laughed with him. He grabbed the bucket out of my hand and filled it up. "How did your ride go last night?" I asked.

He chuckled, "I lasted but my score wasn't too high. I probably would've done so much better if my good luck charm was there." I shrugged. He filled up the bucket and handed it to me and I smiled up at him. Curse his handsome face.

I turned to take the bucket to Timber's stall and I could hear Tatum following me. I set the bucket in her stall and she took a small gulp before she went back to eating.

"How are you, Gem?" Tatum asked softly. I sighed. I really wasn't fine. I've been on edge since I last saw Hunter and Jordan's hurt and the police haven't found any leads, but her parents are figuring that out. I was definitely not planning on letting him know that.

"I'm good," I said, with a slightly forced smile. I looked into his eyes and I could see doubt and I knew that he probably didn't believe me.

"That's good. What do you say about going out again?" he asked and I could see hope clear in his eyes. Why does he have to have those amazing eyes?

"Trail ride?" I asked, hopeful.

"Lunch and a trail ride sound perfect right about now." He said, smiling. I smiled and actually starting to look forward to this date.

"I look forward to it," I told him sincerely.

"Great. Meet her at 12:30? And I can bring lunch."

"I will make lunch Tatum. You brought dinner the last time." I told him.

He smiled and nodded his head. "I look forward to it my beautiful Gem." He winked and walked away. I didn't realize the crazed smile on my face. I haven't felt like this in a long time. I looked at Timber and giggled. I pet her and whispered, "I think I might be able to move on now Tim." She looked at me as if to say, "It's about time Amber. It's about time."

*****

I hopped out of the truck to head into the grocery store. My spurs were clanking and I shoved a John Deere cap on top of my head. I walked in and started grabbing items that would be good but could fit into saddlebags. I started to put on my things on the belt and I happened to glance up when I heard a familiar voice.

Hunter.

My face drained in color and my heart stopped. Why is here?

"Miss? Are you alright?" the cashier asks and I looked at her, making sure to keep an eye on Hunter. I shook my head.

"Uh- yes. Sorry." I quickly pulled out the necessary cash and grabbed the bags and mumbled a quick thanks. I dashed out the door and headed for my truck. I tossed the groceries in the backseat and hopped in the front seat. I glanced out the window while I shoved my keys into the ignition. 

There he was, standing with that sick smirk on his face. I couldn't believe it. I shook my head and pulled away. I made sure to stop at the gas station to check my truck with any trackers and I took the long way back to the fairgrounds. 

Once I pulled in beside my trailer, I took a deep breath. I couldn't understand why he was here, again! I checked all around the truck before I hopped out. After leaving Hunter two years ago, I changed everything, except for my name. With a sigh, I grabbed the groceries and headed inside my trailer. 

I put things and glanced at the time, 11:00 p.m. I decided to hurry in the shower and get ready and then pack things. 

******

Finally packing the last of the things into the saddle bags, I smiled. I was actually extremely excited about this lunch date with Tatum. I then thought of seeing Hunter earlier and negative emotions came swirling back again for a moment. With a quick shake of my head I thought of this date and felt like a school girl for a moment. 

I locked up behind me as I left and walked towards the barn. I went earlier and saddled Timber and came back to pack the lunch. When I turned the corner I noticed Tatum tying his blue roan up and smiled. 

He looked up and smiled. His smile made me want to make him smile again. Something told me that it wasn't often that he did. 

"Wow Gem," he said. He looked dumbfounded. I had on a nice pair of jeans and a nice, decorative t-shirt and my hair was curled. I didn't think I looked that different.

"Close your mouth Cowboy. We don't want flies going in." I said with a laugh. He closed it and chuckled. 

"You look beautiful Amber." He said with a firmness and I blushed. 

"Thank you," I said, " You don't look too bad either." And he didn't. He was wearing a nice button up and had it rolled up with a nice pair of jeans. 

I handed him a saddle bag that had the drinks in it. And then walked to Timber's stall which was a couple down from him. I tied the saddlebag to my saddle and put on her bridle. We walked out of the stall and I closed the door after her. 

As we were walking toward Tatum he asked, "What's for lunch?" 

"That is a surprise." I told him and put my cowboy hat on. 

"Oh come on Gem! I want to know!" he complained. 

I just laughed and hopped on Timber, "Let's go Cowboy, otherwise I'm leaving you." I squeezed my legs and asked her to walk forward and out of the barn. I could hear Tatum behind me and we headed for the hills behind the fairgrounds.

*****

A/N: I know, I know. I took a REALLY long time to update and I apologize. There have just been a lot of things going on and I've been organizing my thoughts for this story, so please just bear with me. Anyways, enjoy. It's kind of a filler chapter, but just wait for next chapter. *smirks** Alright, have a good day y'all!!

~Kay