Chapter Nineteen

^Better Man by Little Big Town^

"Up next we have Tatum West!"

My heart thudded at that name and I didn't know what that meant. I watched him back is blue roan gelding into the box and prepare his rope and tie. His blue roan was absolutely beautiful, his build was stunning. Everything seemed to be silent for a moment. I saw how Tatum took a breath and I knew that he was ready.

They way this boy rode made me think that he probably has never had a bad run in a rodeo before. The blue roan sprinted out of the box and was immediately after that calf. Tatum caught it and it jerked back with his gelding's abrupt stop. Tatum ties the calf getting all legs and threw his hands up in the air. A yelp escaped my lips and it surprised me. I noticed that Tatum was scanning the crowd, and stopped when his eyes rested upon me.

He smiled, winked, and went to fetch his horse. My heart seemed like it was about to burst out of my chest. My thoughts were scattered and I didn't even hear what Tatum's time was. I heard a body sit next to mine and flinched. But it was Jordan and I sighed in relief.

"Did you see the way that that boy was looking at you?" She questioned. I noticed her messy hair, flushed face and the quick tuck in of her shirt. I knew she didn't run because that girl would only run in a life or death situation, so I figured something maybe up. But I didn't want to press until she was ready to talk about it. That's how our friendship worked... most of the time.

"Ya right," I snorted at her comment. There was no way that he would look at me in that sort of way.

"I'm not going to even try," she said, "Listen, I'm going to head to bed. I'm exhausted. See you when you come in maybe?" I nod in agreement and watched as she walked towards the trailer. I could tell that she was physically exhausted. Which may be because of my nightmares that have come more often, since the last time I've seen Hunter, and I shudder at his name.

**flashback**(two years ago)

I walked into the Tesch's home after doing some chores out in the barn. I walked into the kitchen and some of the Tesch's were there. We greeted each other and I grabbed a glass from one of the cupboards and filled it up with water. I gulped it down and soothes my parched throat.

"Where's Hunter?" I asked, referring to their brother. Ashley shrugged in response and continued on with her homework. Mallory just gave Brookie an awkward glance and that raised my suspicions. "Guys?" I asked them but then I heard it. A loud crash from up above the kitchen. Hunter's room is directly above it. Just to confirm it, I slowly treaded upstairs, hoping that maybe it wouldn't be true. But I really should've known when I saw the truck.

I approached his door but it seemed to be silent. I opened the door and there he was with Marissa on top of the dresser and him standing in between her legs. His hair was tousled and her shirt was slipped off her shoulder. The last time I tried I talked about her with him, he punched me.

"Ams," he started.

"Don't." I said, "We're done." I turned around and walked down the stairs.

"Wait! Amber!" He called after me. I ran down the stairs and towards the front door. I heard his feet thud behind me. I walked outside towards my truck and Matt was mowing the lawn, but stopped when he saw my tear streaked face. He killed it and walked towards me but before he could reach me, we heard Monte's booming voice.

"What's going on here?" Monte turned to look at his father.

"Why don't you ask your filthy son," Matt said motioning with his hand toward Hunter. Monte turned toward him and raised a questioning brow.

"Before you interrogate him Monte," I intervene, "Could you please do it after I leave?"

"Amber," Hunter dragged on. I couldn't decipher what I saw in his eyes.

"Don't I told you that we were done. I asked you about Marissa, Hunter, and remember how you reacted?" At this point I was yelling, "You freaking punched me! I'm done!" I stormed toward my truck and slammed the door shut behind me. I turned the key in the ignition and pulled out of the driveway. I knew at this point that the whole family was out and I didn't want to see anyone's faces. I was driving somewhere and I don't even know where. I could feel my tears continue running down my face.

**end of flashback***

I felt a strong pair of arms wrap around me I flinched and tried to get away.

"Whoa easy Gem," a rough but soothing voice said, "What's the matter?" I instantly knew that it was Tatum. I felt his thumbs wipe tears off my face that I didn't realize were there. I enjoyed the warm comfort he brought me surprisingly and so I instantly snuggled back into him and he held me impossibly tighter. I just let all my pent up emotions out and he just whispered sweet nothings into my ear. My cries were muffed by his chest and think Carhartt coat. I finally calmed down and stopped crying.

I glanced down at his chest and realized the big, wet tear stains and I felt terrible. "Your shirt!" I exclaimed, "I'm so sorry!"

He grips my shoulders softly, "Don't worry about it Gem." He was attempting to comfort me and I didn't know what to say. I had a flashback of my breakup and if Tatum wasn't there, I probably would have had more and not just the ones associated with Hunter. One last tear escaped from me and before it could pass my cheekbone, Tatum wiped it away with his thumb. I took a deep breath to control my labored breathing and pushed away from Tatum slightly so we were facing each other.

"How'd you find me?" I asked, suddenly curious. He looked at me and scratched the back of his neck nervously. His biceps flexed at the motion and my eyes were drawn to them. 

"Blue's stall is a couple down from yours and seemed a bit distraught. I wanted to check up on you," he says softly and I can see in his eyes that that wasn't the complete answer, but I dropped it.

"Thank you," I tell him sincerely, which I'm not sure which part. I just want my head to be normal again.

He smiles that beautiful smile of his and nods his head. His smile makes me want to get him to smile again. He is still wearing clothes from his run and I instantly feel guilty. 

"I'm so sorry!" I exclaim, "You were probably going to change and everything! And I'm keeping you from that!" His hand reaches up and I thought that he was going to hurt me like Hunter would, so I flinched. All Tatum did was brush a piece of hair behind my ear and I silently sighed in relief. I could see his questioning stare but I blew it off.

"Amber," he chuckles, "You are just fine. There is nothing that you need to worry about." I still felt horrible. Gosh, why am I being such a baby? Maybe  it's becausehe caught me in a vulnerable moment. "Listen, it's freezing. Why don't we go get something to eat or warm to drink? I mean, if you want." 

And I surprised myself with my answer, "I would love to."

A/N: Hi guys I'm sorry that it has been a while since I last updated. If you enjoyed the chapter click on the star and let me know in the comments what your thoughts are on it so far. Any thoughts on Amber's flashbacks? There are way more to come... trust me. I might double update, but I am on a time crunch so it depends. 

Anyways, Until Next Time!!