chapter 5(edited)

Chapter 5

Back outside, on the stairs, Jason drew in deep lungful of fresh air; well, fresher than the air inside the library. Brutus stepped up beside him then let out a string of swear words.  Jason looked down at the cat and asked,

"since when do cats know language like that?"

"Now isn't the time!"

The cat was staring at the street. Jason followed the cat's gaze and saw two people standing in the street. They were very different from any Jason had seen so far. For a start, they were living, their clothes though plain, were not rags, thick grey cloaks hung from their shoulders.

"Who are they?" Jason asked the cat.

"Unknown!"

"That's all you got?"

"I am not a tour guide!"

The two strangers heard none of this conversation. They just stood and stared at the man in black and his little black cat.  Jason stepped up to the top step and shouted at the newcomers, "who are you?"

The man took a step forward, he was huge, tall and heavily muscled. In his large hands, he held a double headed axe.  His voice was deep, almost a growl.

"I am Titus." He nods towards his partner, "this is my sister Tina. We are scouts of the clan wolf pack."

The two of them were clearly twins, both had long blonde hair and green eyes and pale skin. Tina was as tall as her brother, but she was very slim. In her hands, she held two long thin swords.  Titus spoke again,

"you have some of our property and we want it back."

Jason studied the huge man in front of him before replying,

"I have nothing of yours! I own nothing!"

"We have been watching your type for months now; always flicking from rooftop to rooftop like overgrown crows, scavenging in the ruins," said Titus.

"I have no idea what you are talking about, I only arrived here today."

"Lies!" shouted Titus. "You dress like them, you have my sword, book and cat. I want them back!"

"I am not his cat!" 

Jason ignored Brutus's outburst and addressed the man.

"How can this be your book? I have only just found it!"

Titus gripped his axe handle tighter. His words came out in a growl.

"This is my city, everything in it belongs to me! Hand them over and we will let you pass!"

Jason was overcome with a sense of possessiveness as he realized that the only things he owned in this world were the things this man was trying to take away from him. His hand automatically went to the sword at his waist. As he wrapped his hand around the handle, Jason sensed the sword's power and that it truly belonged to him. There is no way he'd be handing it over without a fight. As for the book, it is one he has spent fifteen years searching for.

"Why the cat?" asked Jason. "You can't possibly claim you own him?"

The big man let out a long rumbling laugh, "it's a long time since we've eaten any fresh meat." 

"Oh, you barbarian! There's no way you're eating me! "

Titus doesn't hear the cat's thoughts but he does see the cat arch its back and hiss at him. He raises an eyebrow in surprise. It was almost as if the cat had understood him.