Chapter 36 (edited)

Chapter 36

Behind the fortress wall, the paved road had been completely removed, there was nothing but a wide open, rocky courtyard. Up ahead was the grey tower, stone stairs lead up to a single plain wooden door. The Furies were marching straight towards it. As she looked around Hel saw that there were no other buildings, but there were camouflaged doorways embedded into the mountain side. Hel had to admit that she was impressed. Why build a fortress when you could use the natural surroundings as a super fort.

The simple wooden door opened on a room that was completely at odds with the outside. Hel gaped in wonder, it was like walking into a grand cathedral. Carved marble pillars rose all the way up the walls to the unknown heights of the tower. The walls were lined with alcoves, and all had marble statues on plinths inside them. The men and women all had noble faces full of strength and wisdom. The way they held themselves suggested that they had great powers, maybe even powers of the gods? Not one of the statues looked remotely like any of the Aesir though, a golden plaque beneath each one revealed a name and the fact that they were indeed gods or goddess's, of fertility, war, love, wisdom, harvest or the sea.

Hel was so busy wandering around admiring the statues that she didn't notice that all three Furies had dropped to their knees with heads bowed, nor did she notice the giant marble throne in the centre of the room, upon which the dark lord reclined and watched Hel closely. Hel had almost completed a lap of the room when the dark lord finally spoke up.

"Welcome Hella! I see you are admiring my family!"

Hel jumped in shock, she whirled to face the voice. What caught her more by surprise was the fact that the voice was very feminine and childlike. Hel gasped in shock as she laid eyes on the dark lord of the Black mountains. Reclining on the throne was a young and beautiful woman. She looked barely out of her teens. Long brown hair flowed well past her shoulders, her canted brown eyes were alight and full of mischief, and she was slender and wore a long, deep purple dress.

"Welcome my sister, to Gladsheim." She smiled and revealed a set of perfect white teeth. 

Hel gaped at her in confusion. "Gladsheim? That is in Asgard? A hall of the Aesir gods? Why would you call me sister? And why would you call me Hella? I haven't gone by that name in over two thousand years."

The room was brightly lit but Hel could find no light source, there were no windows in the tower nor any skylights. No torches or candles could be seen. The woman's dark eyes were alight with mischief and there was something so familiar about her grin.

"There was indeed a Gladsheim in Asgard but it is no more. It is a nice name and it means joyful home or hall of joy. It is a nice name for the final resting place of my family."

Hel cast another glance around at all the statues, they were so lifelike, and they had intricate details such as small scars and blemishes on their skin.  The young woman rose gracefully and walked towards Hel.

"I call you Hella because that is who you truly are."

Hel rose to her full height and spoke in a regal tone. "I am Queen Hel, ruler of Helheim and keeper of the souls of the dead."

The young woman shook her head sadly and spoke quietly.

"You have not been queen for over two thousand years, Eljundir lies in ruins, the wall to Helheim crumbles, your warden of the bridge is dead and a man dressed all in red tries to wear your crown."

"Lies!" Hella hissed. "How could you possibly know such things? Who are you? I demand you tell me right now!"

The silent Furies gasped in shock, no one would dare to speak to their queen like that. They rose as one and steel rasped as they all drew their swords.  The young queen fixed them with a hard stare and suddenly her childish voice was full of authority.