Chapter 13 (edited)

Chapter 13

Changing back into his old form Loki cackled with laughter as he thought of the looks on the god's faces when the mighty Balder got injured. He raced off towards Valhalla as fast as his long legs would carry him. As the days passed, Frigg forgot all about the old hag. She watched the gods playing their daily sports against her invincible son. Even Odin had taken to watching the games although he never took part in them. He stood off to one side wearing a deep grey travelling cloak and had a very troubled look on his face. Frigg watched her husband closely. He was wise and saw way too much. If something was troubling him then it meant trouble for all the gods.

Odin stood and watched the games, something was nagging in the back of his mind but he just could not figure out what it was. The gods laughed merrily as they continued playing, all were unaware of the feelings which troubled Odin. In the shadows Loki stood and watched the gods, he held a dart with a wicked sharp point in his hand. Loki had found the mistletoe plant that Frigg had spoken of, he had stripped the plant down to a single branch and then sharpened it into the dart he now held. Excitement was boiling up inside Loki. He had the dart but hadn't yet figured out how to use it, but meanwhile, a prime opportunity had presented itself. Odin's third son Hod had joined the gods in the garden.

Hod was blind and very slow witted, he stood apart from the others and grinned like a madman. Balder stood against the garden wall with his arms spread wide. The gods all formed a semicircle around him and were once again, throwing darts. This is too easy thought Loki as he crept across the garden. He approached Hod and poked him hard in the ribs.

"That must be Loki?" said Hod in a slow voice.

"None other."

"What do you want?"

"I want to know why you do not join in?" Loki whispered in Hod's ear.

"Because I cannot see and do not have any weapons."

Loki placed a long thin hand over his mouth, desperately trying to stifle his laughter. When he got himself back under control he said,

"well this isn't right, how dare they ignore you! You, his own brother!"

Hod's expression didn't change, he just kept staring at nothing and grinned at the sky. A huge roar of laughter filled the garden.

"What's happened now?" asked Hod.

"Oh, just more of the same nonsense, Balder should have a dart sticking out from between his legs now."

Hod's brow wrinkled in concentration while he tried to work out what Loki meant. Slapping Hod hard on the shoulder Loki said,

"don't worry about it now, it is time for your go, I think. Here is a dart, I will guide you over to the game."

Loki pressed the dart into Hod's large hand then guided him over to the game. Loki's eyes were alight with mischief as he helped Hod to aim. This was it, this was where he taught everyone a real lesson. With one final check of his aim Loki gave Hod the go-ahead and the blind god threw the dart.

The aim was better than Loki had hoped, the dart plunged straight into Balder's chest and pierced his heart. There was a brief look of confusion on his face then the fair and gentle god collapsed face first to the ground. A heavy silence fell over the garden and then all eyes fell on Loki and Hod. Balder had been killed instantly and it was clear from the furious looks that all the gods were blaming Loki. The looks of hate and blame were too much for the trickster, Loki turned and fled the garden as quickly as he could.

Hod continued to stand there, completely unaware of all the looks he was getting. Of all the gods only one was not angry, Odin stood with his head bowed. The loss of his son was bad, but Odin could foresee that great loss and sorrow would come from this evil act and that this was the beginning of something much worse. The other gods bowed their heads and began to weep. Frigg knelt next to her son's body,

"Is there anyone here who wants to win all my love and favour?"

the goddess looked around with tears streaming down her face.

"Is there anyone here who will ride the long dark road to Helheim and ask Hella to let my son return?"

All eyes were on Frigg but no one spoke up. The silence stretched on until Odin quietly cursed. A dark-haired god stepped forward and knelt next to Frigg. He was ruggedly handsome and well built.

"I shall go!" he looked down at the fallen god, "it is only right that I go, I shall bring my brother back."

The other gods nodded their agreement but still none spoke. Hermod was known for his boldness and bravery, if anyone could survive the journey through the valley of the dead it was him.  Hermod stood and addressed the crowd.

"I shall leave at once."

With that he turned and raced off towards the stables. Odin raced after his son. At the stables Hermod quickly got his horse saddled then climbed up.

"You must use all your wit and cunning when dealing with Hella, she has no love for the Aesir and especially no love for me. She will not give up Balder easily," said Odin. 

Hermod was mounted on his black horse. He looked down at his father.

"Do not worry I shall return with my brother, I swear it!"

Without saying goodbye Hermod quickly trotted his horse out of the stables then built up speed and raced off into the growing night.