Chapter 25.5

Jotenheim

All was quiet and calm in the valley, a gentle breeze stirred through the sparse pine trees. A small stream trickled through its rock strewn base. A small camp fire crackled and pooped nearby. Late evening was setting in, the sun was sinking towards the top of the narrow sided valley. Birds chirped restlessly as they chased insects through the sky.

Thor knelt by the little stream, he was washing dried blood and dirt off of his beloved Mjollnir. The thunder god was close to exhaustion and ached all over, he had countless minor injuries and bruises. His favourite bearskin cloak was torn and dirty. The rest of his clothes were little better and Thor himself was in desperate need of a wash.

For three weeks he had battled giants up and down the length of their world, he had lost count of how many he had battered into submission. But they all gave him the same answer, Thokk either didn't exist or they didn't know where she lived. It had to be lies, the giants all knew one another and they were clearly protecting Thokk. Thor was determined to complete his mission, he would not fail or turn back until he dragged the limp and beaten form of Thokk before Odin's feet.

Once he had finished cleaning his war hammer, Thor settled down besides his little fire. The valley was open and exposed, the sparse trees offered little shelter but the thunder god didn't care. He was too tired and this brief hour of respite had been very welcome but it didn't last.

A crashing noise came from the trees at the bottom of the valley, Thor looked but that end was already cast in deep shadows. He cursed quietly as he sat there but he reached out and picked up Mjollnir. A giant came shambling into view, it forced its way through the trees. The brute had to be twenty foot tall, his filthy, flabby body had to be four times as wide as Thor's. It had a tangled mess of hair that hung down to its shoulders. The only clothing the giant wore was a filthy grey rag around his waist. His skin was greyish and streaked with mud and filth. Thor swore endlessly as the giant looked his way, the brute roared and pointed a finger at the thunder god

"Who dares to enter Gymir's valley?"

Thor remained sitting and spoke calmly "A weary traveller who just wants to rest!"

Gymir lumbered forward still pointing at Thor "You no traveller, Gymir knows you! You are the nasty god who attacks our kind for no reason!"

Thor took a deep breath and willed life into his tired limbs. Here was yet another giant that needed a good beating. The thunder god actually knew this giant by reputation and it was not a good one. The key feature being Gymir's lying and deceitful tongue.

"Be silent scum! I have only acted in self defense! All I seek is Thokk then I can leave this Hellhole you call a home!"

Gymir came to a halt well back from the sitting god. Thor did have a point. He simply asked questions but the savage nature of the giants forced them to attack. He crossed his arms over his flabby chest and glared down at the thunder god

"Gymir knows all about your lies. You pretend to seek Thokk just so you can attack us. Do you want to start a war? You must leave our land now!"

Thor rose wearily to his feet and gripped Mjollnir in both hands as he set his feet apart. His voice thundered out through the valley "How dare you call me the liar! You filthy scum!"

"Nasty god must leave my lands now!"

Lightning began to dance over the head of Mjollnir as Thor's anger grew. They were heading for a fight, there was no stopping it now

"Be silent scum! No one tells me when to leave or where to go! I shall leave when I have Thokk captive and not before!"

Gymir looked uneasily at the lightning dancing on the golden war hammer, his beady black eyes narrowed on the god