Chapter 24 (edited)

Chapter 24

Despite being in his late eighties, Tiberius could still run fast when he had too. He hurtled down the spiral staircase and burst out into the courtyard. Jason wasn't far behind the old druid but when he erupted out of the tower door something odd snagged his attention. Unaware of Jason's halt, Tiberius continued racing towards the wall. Two keepers came clanging and clattering alongside him. One held his sword the other had his druid's staff. All along the wall, the swordsmen were dividing up into groups of three. They knelt and locked their shields together in front. The wall itself was nearly twenty feet high and made of some very dark grey stone that had a very smooth finish. The wall was thick enough for four people to walk abreast on top, it was topped off with some very medieval looking battlements that rose to shoulder height. Archers were taking up positions behind the mini-shield walls. All along, the front wall was packed with defenders, the only part not occupied was the spot directly above the gate. A keeper was leading the girls towards this spot.

"I guess this must be the command spot," muttered Cassie.

"Are we supposed to lead this army then?" asked Alexia in a scared whisper.

Eva looked up and down the wall, now that the keepers were all in position they stood still and silent as statues. The only noise to be heard was the steady pounding of the sea below.

"It looks like we will have to lead them," said Eva. "What? How? Do you even know anything about war?" demanded Cassie. "Do you know the first thing about leading an army? Because I sure as hell don't!"

Before Eva could snap a scathing reply, running footsteps interrupted and Tiberius stopped in front of them. He clutched at a stich in his side and leant heavily on the wall.

"What is going on here?" Tiberius demanded. "Why are all my keepers dressed for war?" He leaned forward and gasped heavily, desperately trying to regain his breath.

"Well, I would think we are under attack!" said Cassie, sarcasm dripping from every word.

Eva gave her a filthy look. "Fools... We are not under attack, No damned can cross that bridge."

At the very end of the bridge stood Janus and Hel, both were glaring up at Tiberius.  How are they two people now? The last time Janus had been seen, he looked like a normal man, now only one side of his normal face remained, the other side livid scar tissue.  He kind of looks like a male version of that woman, mused Tiberius. The only difference was that Hel was half-corpse not half-burnt. Janus had on a brand new white robe, shimmering with an unearthly light. One long sleeve ending not in a hand but a twisted lump of flesh with four long blades protruding from it. The demon glared at Tiberius, he only had one eye now, but it burned with rage and hatred. There was not even a trace of the other eye to be seen, beneath all the scar tissue.

"Give me Jason now and only some of you shall die!"

"And what if we don't?" asked Tiberius, his voice was casual, almost inquiring.

"Then you will all die!" Janus roared.

The right side of the demon's face was twisted in a permanent snarl making it difficult for him to speak. "My powers have grown, old man, you could barely hold your own against me before!"

"And now you must face two of us," added Hel. "Our combined powers will make your pathetic little wall crumble like a heap of dried leaves in a storm."

Hel paused and looked down at the gap between them and the island. The tide was right in and pounding against the cliffs.  Just how were they going to cross the gap?

"I have an offer for you, old man and it is one I don't think you will be able to resist!" shouted Janus.

"Not interested!" Tiberius shouted back. "I don't take offers from demons!"