Chapter 27 (edited)

Chapter 27

Janus stood on the mainland glaring up at the druids on the wall. He wrenched arrow after arrow from his body. His robe was soaked through with blood and he swayed on the spot.

"Even gods have their limits," said Hel. She stood nearby, looking like a walking pincushion. Janus growled as he ripped another arrow from his body.

"We need to finish this now, I will not be beaten by some pathetic mortals!"

Hel frowned at the island, she wasn't sure they were facing ordinary mortals; not with the amount of magic they possessed. Janus barged his way into the ranks of waiting Passus. Moments later he reappeared with another line of frightened children. He wrenched the final arrow from his neck and grimaced.  Glaring up at Tiberius, he said,

"here is the deal old man, either you surrender Jason now or I am going to start killing these children in front of you, one at a time!"

Eva's hand went to the quiver at her back and raised her bow. Janus raised a warning finger.

"If that little witch fires one more arrow, I will kill them all instantly!"

Tiberius put a restraining hand on Eva's arm. She swore violently and lowered her bow. The Passus once again held the struggling children but made no move towards the cliff edge.  Janus walked up to the first in line and placed his blades at the young boy's throat.

"I will give you exactly one minute to decide and then he dies!"

Tiberius closed his eyes and desperately tried to think of something. This battle wasn't going well at all, over half the defenders were wiped out and so far, there were no casualties on the enemy's side. Two of his druids had already preformed great magic, so they were drained and would need time to recover. Even Eva was looking drained after all her shooting. Tiberius's element was spirit and it allowed him to use the others' elements if they were nearby but on a much smaller scale than a master of their element could do. The only one who hadn't preformed a great deal of magic was Jason and he was still nowhere to be seen. Janus placed a blade hard against the child's throat, blood began to bead there.

"Okay old man, your time is up! What is your...... ARRGGH!"

A massive ball of emerald flames engulfed the demon, two more hit him in rapid succession. The demon was caught completely by surprise. He staggered backwards as the blows continued to slam into him. Janus howled and roared in pain as the assault continued. Jason calmly walked along the front wall of the fortress, his arms were completely engulfed in flames, He pointed both arms at Janus and sent more fireballs his way. Hel looked at the towering inferno that was Janus and realised that they couldn't win.  She began slowly retreating towards the lines of Passus.

"He is not an ordinary mortal; his blood is clearly of the gods of Asgard."

"Well it looks like his powers are growing quickly," remarked Tiberius.

Eva's heart leapt for joy as she saw Jason walking down below her. The powers that he kept displaying was scary but also awesome at the same time.

"We should go down and help him!"

"No... I think this is one of those things he needs to do alone, besides it's not like he even needs the help."

Jason stood at the end of the bridge, both arms raised high. In between his hands a massive fireball was forming. With a roar of effort he sent it straight at the demon. The ball hits with a thundering boom. Dirt and grass launched into the air. As the smoke and flames died down Tiberius swore violently at what he saw. Janus was standing in a crater, smoke curling from his charred and blackened clothes.  The demon fixed his hate filled eye on Jason.