30. An Order Of Crazy With A Side Of Stupid

Jefferson

Thomas woke up in the morning and wasn't too surprised to see that Alexander was already out of bed since he was usually awake first anyway. He sat up and stretched, not at all in a hurry to do anything. Finally, though, he got up. Since the room was chilly, he slipped on the closest jacket, which was the letterman, and went downstairs expecting to see Hamilton in front of the coffee maker or sitting with the kids at the table, helping them with some homework that they had over the weekend. 

Of course, neither of those things were happening. That confused Thomas slightly, but the shower water was running so he thought that maybe Alex just decided to take a shower. Nothing off about that, people shower all the time. 

Instead of going to knock on the door, he went over to see if there was any coffee even made. If there wasn't, then he'd know something was off. Alex always made coffee as soon as he was out of bed. Sure enough, the pot was empty. 

So either Alexander left or something important was going on. Thomas heard the bathroom door open and his heart dropped to his feet when Lucy walked out with soaked hair. 

"You okay, Tommy?" Lucy asked, looking worriedly at her brother.

"Do you know where Alex went?"

She shook her head and said something but Thomas was already rushing up the stairs to Mary's room. He pounded on the door until she opened it and she gave the same answer as Lucy. So did Jane, Randolph, and Anna.

Thomas immediately left the house. He didn't know where he was going first, but he couldn't just let this go. As he drove onto the road, he buckled his seatbelt and called Peggy. Sure it wasn't the safest thing but who's to say what happened to Hamilton this time? Who's to say he wasn't already dead? Time wasn't exactly on his side.

"Peggy!" Thomas practically shouted when she picked up. "Please tell me Alex stopped by there or something."

"No, last time I saw him was at Liza's." she was quiet for half a second before realization hit her. "Oh, my God, please tell me he's not missing too. . .

"I don't know. He came home with me last night but--" 

"Wait, are you driving? Jefferson, don't be an idiot! Get off the damned road so you can think!" 

"Peggy I can't--" 

"Shut up and get off the fucking road, Thomas. You need to think of who else you can call to find out where he is.

She left no room for argument as she hung up, so Jefferson did what she said and pulled into an abandoned parking lot. He called everyone else he could think of that might have any idea where Hamilton would be. Eliza, Lafayette, Angelica. . . Hell, he even called Burr on a long shot. Of course, nobody knew where he was or who he could be with. 

Which left him back where he was six years ago. The only difference being six years ago, at least Laurens was a part of the situation and he helped somewhat. Now all Thomas to rely on was--

"Andre!" He cheered to himself. Then he realized that he just cheered John Andre's name and wanted to punch himself.

Almost as if on cue, his phone started to ring with a number he didn't recognize. 

With any luck, it'll be Andre, Thomas thought as he answered the phone. 

"Thomas? Oh God, please tell me this is Thomas," Andre whispered from the other end. Any hope that Jefferson had before was gone when he heard the fearfulness in the other man's voice. 

"Yeah, why?"

"We need your help. Alex tried to get the kids on his own and I tried to stop him-- long story short, if we move, we're dead. We need your help, please, Thomas." 

All Jefferson heard was "Alex" and he was pretty much sold on barging in with no plan, no weapons, no backup, and no one knowing where he is. Andre gave him the address and Thomas completely forgot about not trusting him. 

There was one thing that Thomas knew for certain this time around. He was not about to let some asshole with a God complex take away the best annoyance he knew. 

Not again. 

He was going to find Alex, he was going to get the kids back, and he was probably going to punch Andre in the face. That was his new plan. 

Now all he needed was something for protection, some backup, and telling someone where he's going. At the next stoplight, he texted the address to Burr, telling him to only show up by himself and only if it was dark and if Thomas didn't say anything else by then. As for protection, he had nothing and no time to find something. 

He just had to hope he wouldn't need anything. 

It took maybe half an hour to get where he needed to be and the entire way in, he was reminding himself to keep on guard. He looked from side to side, walking slowly and getting suspicious of the lack of people in the halls. He walked down one hall for a little while until he came to a large opening room. 

As soon as he was inside, the door slammed shut and he knew that it was going to be harder than he thought to get his idiot and the kids out.