33. If You Could Stop Dying, That'd Be Great

Jefferson

Thomas watched as Hamilton fell to the ground. The gunshot silenced the room, even Andre stopped laughing like he didn't expect that to happen. He dropped the knife and it fell to the floor, the noise snapping Thomas out of his shock.

As Theodosia ran over to her father and Thomas ran to Alexander. His eyes were moving but their focus seemed to be going in and out, they barely stayed on Thomas's face.

"Thomas. . ." He murmured slowly. Thomas anxiously pushed the hair out of Alex's face.

"It's okay I'm right here," Jefferson assured him. "I'm right here, just hold on. The cops'll be here any second."

"Thomas," he said again. "He killed Laurens."

Jefferson looked up to see what Andre was doing. When he saw the man trying to sneak away, he licked up the gun that Burr apparently dropped and didn't hesitate to pull the trigger. He was aiming for Andre's torso, but he hit his leg instead. Either way, he wasn't going anywhere.

"He killed Laurens," Alex repeated. "He killed Johnny."

"He's going to pay for what he did, just stay alive, alright?"

"It's cold," Hamilton pointed out.

Thomas nodded and turned when he realized the Burrs were still in the building. He told Aaron to get Philip back and to get Theodosia away, which he gladly did. Before Thomas even finished his sentence, the father was out of the building. Thomas turned his focus back to his probably dying boyfriend. 

"Alex," he said as calmly as possible. "What are we going to do first when we get to France?0"

"Ooh, France huh?" Andre called. "How romantic."

"If you don't shut up, I won't miss the next shot!" Thomas yelled back.  

"Uhm, I don't-- I don't know," Alexander muttered. He sucked in a sharp breath and started groaning. Thomas reminded him to hold out long enough for the cops to get there. 

"Any second," he kept saying. "Any second."

"Maybe Baldy didn't actually call them," Andre yelled. "Ever think of that?" 

Thomas ignored him. He didn't know if he could actually hear the sirens closing but if he wasn't just imagining them, they sounded close. He looked back down at Alexander, whose eyes were starting to drift close. Thomas frantically tapped Alex's cheek, forcing his eyes back open. 

"Hey! Hey, come on, stay up. You've stayed up for days on end before, I need you to stay awake now--"

"I don't want to," Hamilton murmured. "I wanna see Jacky again." 

"I know, I know but I need you to annoy me so I can handle other people, okay? I know you don't want to, but you have to." 

"There isn't anythin' here though," Hamilton hummed. He closed his eyes again but Thomas shook his head, forcing them back open for a second time. alex glared up at Jefferson.

"Fine, stay alive for France. You still want to go to France, right?" Thomas rushed. "Come on, stay here Hamilton!" 

"I miss John."