The Wicked Day

Adelaide was in her room getting ready for the day. She could hear the entertainers for tonight feast entering the citadel. It was Arthur's birthday. Adelaide could hear the mumbles of Arthur and Merlin next door.

Adelaide walked out of her room her red and black dress trailing on the ground as she made her way to Uther's chambers. She had black heels on to match the dress and her hair had a small braid in to keep it out of her face.

 She had black heels on to match the dress and her hair had a small braid in to keep it out of her face

Adelaide walked to Uther's chambers and saw him sitting by the window again but he looked better. She walked closer and saw that he already ate. "Sire?" Adelaide asked walking closer. Uther glanced up at her.

"Adelaide." He said, she smiled and bent down to get the empty plate from the table. "What are you doing?" Adelaide glanced at Uther when he spoke. "I'm taking the plate to the kitchens." Adelaide said frowning. She saw Uther hesitantly nodded. Adelaide heard the door behind her open and she turned around. Arthur was at the door. "Sire." Adelaide curtsied and quickly left the room to that Uther and Arthur can talk.

Later that night

Adelaide stood next to Gwen in the great hall. They were watching the entertainment. Adelaide could hear Uther laughing from his chair next to Arthur. It was a surprise to everyone when the king entered with Arthur.

"I require a volunteer. Prince Arthur, what better or more fitting occasion for you to demonstrate your legendary bravery. Do you accept the challenge?" on of the entertainers asked. Adelaide looked towards Arthur. He looked conflicted for a few seconds. "Of course." Arthur said and stood up, Adelaide watched as Merlin asked Arthur something, as Arthur handed Merlin his red cloak and brown jacket.

Adelaide watched in worry as Arthur got on the wooden wheel standing in the middle of the room. The head entertainer's assistant tied Arthur's hands and feet. The entertainer walked up to Arthur and asked something before pushing an apple into Arthur's mouth.

The man lifted up the first dagger to show it to the crowd as they began to spin Arthur. The entertainer threw the first dagger and Adelaide closed her eyes, afraid that it might hit Arthur. She opened her eyes when the crowd gasped in amazement. The dagger hit the board on the left side of Arthur's head. Adelaide let out a breath she did not know she was holding in.