The Diamond of the day: Part 1

Meeting of the round table

"Force of Saxons, Sire. They crossed the northern border last night and attacked the garrison at Stawell." Leon said. Adelaide looked from Leon towards Arthur.

"They march under Morgana's command?" Arthur questioned.

"There can be no doubt about it, Sire."Gwaine said "It was not just men we faced but sorcery." Gwaine looked at Arthur.

"We shouldn't be surprised. She's been massing an army for weeks. Now with Stawell taken, she has a base at our northern border, which could only mean one thing." Arthur said.

"She means to take Camelot." Adelaide spoke up from besides Arthur.

"Then she's already made her first mistake." Percival said from Arthur's other side.

"We have sufficient time to prepare our defences, Sire. We can make our stand here. How ever great her army, the walls of Camelot will hold, the citadel will not fall." Leon said with a lot of determination.

"Perhaps. Perhaps not." Arthur said leaning his elbows on the table. "We have already deserted Stawell. I won't forsake the people of this land, while we take refuge here." Arthur said top Leon.

"But we can protect them here, sire, in Camelot itself." Percival said.

"Some but not all. Countless men, Woman and children will be left behind. People who I've vowed to protect." Arthur said

"We cannot say everyone, Arthur. No matter how much we may wish it." Adelaide said.

"There is a way." Arthur's word caught the attention off all the knights. "One way alone. We ensure that she never makes it this far." Arthur said.

"We... ride out and meet them?" Percival questioned.

"Man to man." Arthur said.

"But, sire, Morgana commands an army of thousands." Leon said.

"None the less, it is our duty as protectors of this land. We cannot stand by and let our citizens be slaughtered. Those are not the values that Camelot was built on. Whatever the outcome of this battle, my sister cannot and will not desecrate those values. The war has begun." Arthur said.

A few hours later, they stood in the council room. It was only the King's privy council who was present.

"To reach Camelot, Morgana will have no choice but to cross the white mountains. Now the only pass that gives passage to an army that size is here." Arthur said pointing at the map. Adelaide watched over his shoulder.

"I know it well. The path is bounded by cliffs on either side." Percival said.

"That is where we will meet them. Now we may be outnumbered but if we don't let them outflank us, then we can hold the pass." Arthur said looking up at Gwaine, Leon and Percival.