The Shy

Chapter Two- The Shy

I sat in my room. Willow Daytime is a boarding school and a normal school, some students stay and some don’t. It’s usually the seniors who do; because they study it’s just easier. Or a lot of people like to stay at school for the week but return home for weekends.

For me, I have no choice. It’s not too bad though, Jett is across the hall. We don’t need to share rooms with anyone because we have the rooms at the end of the hall; there are around ten empty rooms before us. No one wants to have a room anywhere near us.

Not that I care of course. It means I can cover my walls in band posters, have room for things like CD racks, my cello and electric guitar. Before shit went down, my parents encouraged me to learn an instrument and I chose cello. It wasn’t until my second year at Willow Daytime that Jett handed me his old electric guitar and taught me how to play.

I took one look at my homework then tapped my finger on the corner of the page. It instantly caught fire and in seconds the whole booklet was ashes.

“Oops.” I whisper, smirking.

Why give me homework when it’s obvious I’m not going to do it? I don’t need to anyway, sure I fail almost every theory thing but in prac I excel. Jett and I both do, none of the other weak light gifted students can match our extreme power.

I fell back against my bed, it was 10pm but I didn’t feel like sleeping, not yet at least. I lifted myself back up and walked across the hall to Jett’s room. I kicked his door with my foot.

“Go away.” Jett calls from inside so I open the door.

He’s standing in front of his mirror with his top off, flexing his muscles. “Hey!” He shouts as I fold my arms and stare at him, my eyebrow risen.

“Oh very attractive Jett, you’ll be getting all the ladies.” I pretend to swoon and he rolls his eyes at me.

“Whatever Eva, I’m the one with a date tomorrow night.” He says a triumphant look in his eyes.

“What?” I cry, there was no way any good person in their right mind would go out with someone so devious.

Jett sighs proudly, “Times are changing, chicks are into the bad boy and I’ve got a Friday night date with Agatha.”

I gag, “Agatha, the slut who’s friends with Darla? Really Jett, that’s just low.”

“You’re just jealous. Now go away, I’m having a shower.” Jett pushes me out the room.

“Well fine, have a shower and wash that ‘bad boy’ body and wash it good.”

“Out!” He yells before slamming the down in my face.

I sigh, walking off down the hall. I still wasn’t tired so I decided to take a walk outside. I look back in the direction of Jett’s door; truthfully I was really worried about him. Jett, the most hated guy in school on a date with the second ‘hottest’ girl in the school? No something was up, and if she hurt my best friend I was going to crush her so bad.

I stopped before room number 25, it is painted pink and covered in infuriating pictures of people smiling and drinking at some party. It’s Agatha and Darla’s door. I thought about threatening Agatha now but I push the thought away, at least give her a chance for Jett’s sake.

This is the second time Jett has ever had a date, the last one was over a year ago, lasting a few months with a girl who was genuinely interested in the bad boy type but she gave up on Jett after he put itching powder in a cream that I found on the floor in the girl’s bathroom. Turns out it was her best friend’s and she got so itchy she scratched parts of her skin off her body. It was hilarious, that is until she dumped Jett.

I reluctantly moved away from the door and continued walking down the hall, outside and into the open air. I inhaled the fresh, cold air and closed my eyes. I love the night.

When I open my eyes again I spot a couple kissing under the moonlight a few 10 meters away from me. I smirk evilly, how can I ruin their date?

I notice a spider dangling from the railing next to me; wouldn’t it be unfortunate if It appeared on one of their heads? Can’t control spiders you know, they live outside and it’s terribly dark out here, you might not see one before it crawls up your neck.

I open my hand underneath the spider and wait for it to make its way onto my palm. “Come on little buddy, you’re almost there.” I whisper to the spider. It drops on in my hands and I clasp my fingers around it.

“Making friends?” A voice asks me and I quickly spin around.

Male hands grab my arms as I almost crash into the person. I look up to see those glittery green eyes looking down at me.

“Careful, you’ll drop him.” Duke says, smiling. He catches the spider that had begun to wind its way out of my open hands.

“It’s a spider, aren’t you scared?” I ask, surprised. He doesn’t seem to find it creepy.

“You’re not.” He replies and places the spider carefully back in my hands.

He smiles warmly at me and I feel my cheeks heat up. “Yeah well, whatever.” I snap and quickly hurry away from him, holding the spider close to my body.

I stop once I am back inside the building and a good distance away from him. Damn, why is he so nice to me? No one apart from Jett is nice to me here. That is one of the few times I’ve ever talked to him. The first time was a few years ago when he first came to the school. He didn’t know I was dark powered and when I tripped on the stairs and everyone was laughing, clearly enjoying my moment of weakness, Duke pushed through the crowd of laughing people and helping me up, telling everyone to go away. He giggled at my clumsiness but comforted me all the same.

After that day, I had talked to him very briefly and smiled at him on the way to class but as he made friends they made a barrier that disabled me from being his friend. I had wished that Duke would come and talk to me again because every time I tried, I was just pushed away by his friends. I watched as he became popular, hit the top of the classes and become the boyfriend of Darla.

I sigh and place the spider under someone’s door, I’ll ruin someone’s date another night.

-Duke’s Point of View-

I watched her hurry off away from me, it’s dark but I could still see how red she just red. Everyone hated her, her and that Jett kid, because of what they were born as but I think all of that is just stupid. I think they could actually be really cool people; they hate others because they hate them. I had to admit, some of their pranks are actually really funny.

“Baby,” Darla calls from behind me and I turn around to face her, she kisses me roughly on the lips, “I have to tell you something.”

“What is it?” I ask, holding her around her waist.

She rests her arms around my neck and kisses my cheek, “Agatha asked Jett out. They’re going on a date tomorrow and Agatha is going to embarrass him in front of the whole school.”

“Why? Darla I don’t think-“ She cuts me off by kissing again, pressing her body against mine and running her fingers through my hair.

When she pulls away she says in her sweet and innocent voice; “Oh it’s not my idea and Agatha is onloy doing it because Jett put soap in this first year’s yoghurt and he was throwing up in front of everyone. It’s only fair, it’s just a shame she didn’t think of one for that Evangeline girl, she put nuts in this girl’s sandwich when she’s allergic to them and her lips swelled up. She looked absolutely terrible and the poor girl’s boyfriend wouldn’t kiss her for a week!”

“True, that’s not nice but fighting back doesn’t seem right.” I say and Darla hushes me.

“Aw you big baby, come on sweetie let’s go.” Darla grabs my wrist and leads me back inside the building. A few rooms ahead of us, screaming girls in their pyjamas rush out of the bedroom pointing to a black spider on the floor.