The Arguing

Chapter Ten- The Arguing

-Duke’s Point of View-

“Why can’t I see them, why are you being so unreasonable?” Darla screams, tears slowly trickling down her cheeks.

“I’m not being unreasonable.” I snap back at her.

She doesn’t understand, she can’t meet my parents. I can barely see them this weekend myself, let alone her seeing them. Why are we even arguing about this? Can’t she just understand that she can’t meet them yet and get over it? The again… we’ve been fighting a lot recently. She’s been okay after the tournament but it’s now two days later on Friday morning and she’s arguing with me again.

Darla begins a rant about how unfair I’m being and I zone out. I touch my cheek where Eva had punched me in the tournament, although the nurse healed most of the damage it was still a little sore for the past two days. Her punch was so strong; I admire her ability to fight so well.

Eva’s face so close to mine re-appeared in my memory and I quickly push it aside. She keeps appearing in my mind, ever since last weekend but I have to stop it, I barely know her even if she is really fun to hang around with and a lot nicer than others think…

“Are you even listening to me?” Darla yells, snapping me back into reality. Darla’s eyes are red and puffy, her cheeks swollen from her sobbing.

“Uh… yeah.” I bite my lip, way to make it obvious Duke!

She had noticed that I wasn’t listening and she pounds on my chest with her fists, “You’re so mean! It’s because of those stupid dark powered people!”

I glare at her, “My friendships with others isn’t the cause of this argument, just because they’re born with dark powers doesn’t mean they’re making me do things.” Why would she bring them into this? Of course, she must be jealous.

“No you’re right,” She mutters, a bitter look on her face, “That’s only a part of it because you’re already evil.”

I stare at her in shock and confusion, she meets my eyes for a moment before bursting into more crying and shoving past me and out the room.

I can’t believe what she had just said, it’s as if that phrase had been floating around in the back of my head for years and it’s not until someone actually said it that it’s meaning has been pulled out from the depths of my mind and to my conscious.

I stand there and bring my face to my mouth, winded by her harsh words. The bell rings for the first period but I stay in my room for another half hour before I leave for my class.

-Eva’s Point of View-

“Go long Jett!” I shout, throwing the red ball I was holding flying across the field to Jett.

He jumps up and catches the ball easily in his hands, “Go longer Eva!” He throws it back to me in return but with more force.

I run backwards, holding my arms out ready to catch it. The ball soars through the sunny air, I catch it easily. One would think that we did such normal recreational activities often. Of course it’s not like that, the boy who we stole the ball from is running back and forth between us, begging for his ball.

“Please give it back, my parents gave it to me so I can play catch with my friends.” The boy pleads, he’s stopped running now and he’s a few meters away from me, sobbing.

“Aw your parents bought you this ball did they? Well guess what my parents deny my existence.” Jett’s behind the kid now, bent over and putting on a mock compassionate voice.