N I N E T E E N

Mr. Nikiforov
chapter nineteen // hopes

-
-
-
-
-

A few days had gone by and not much had happened. I had been spending my time by lazing around the dorm, finishing up homework, and watching shows on Netflix. Basically anything that could keep my mind off things.

There were a few text messages from Victor, asking if I was alright or if I wanted to talk about it, but I was still pretty unsure on how I felt about this situation. Those messages were left unanswered.

So far I've concluded that, yes, I like Victor. Very much so. And that's something I never thought I'd feel again... but I was still a little thrown off at the being a father deal. I'm just not so sure how I feel about it.

I knew I had to decide eventually though, but I never thought I'd have to decide so soon!

It was a Friday afternoon and I had just finished up cleaning the kitchen after having lunch. There aren't many students in campus during the holidays, meaning I was not expecting any visit; so when there was a knock on my front door, I was pretty surprised.

I turned to look at the front door, wondering who it could be.

My heart sped up as an image of Victor flashed across my mind.

It can't be.

I took a deep breath and went over, checking through the peep hole to see who it was. My eyebrows furrowed.

"Yuri? I know you're in there, please open up." V said, knocking again.

What is V, of all people, doing here?

"I just want to talk for a few minutes and then I'll be going. Please, let's talk." He glanced up at the peep hole, his light colored eyes staring at me as if he knew I was watching him.

I looked down and sighed, deciding I had nothing to loose by talking to him. So I opened the door and our eyes met.

He looked a bit surprised to see me, as if he hadn't been expecting me to actually open the door. Alas, he composed himself and flashed me a small smile.

"Come in." I said softly, stepping aside and motioning for him to enter. He thanked me and walked past me, looking around the dorm in curiosity. "You can sit down." I added.

We each sat down on opposite ends of the long couch, both of us unsure on what to do--or so I thought. I was looking down at my hands when from the corner of my eye I spotted him extend his own hand.

"I guess I should introduce myself formally." My eyebrows furrowed. "My name is Jihyun Nikiforov, I am Victor's younger brother, and Anton's uncle."

"Jihyun?" I asked, still shaking his hand so I wouldn't be too rude. V nodded, our handshake ending.

"I go by V for the most part, but my real name is Jihyun." He shrugged with a sigh. "Although that wasn't what I came to talk about."

"I assumed as much." I hummed, knowing what was coming.

"I understand this isn't really any of my business and I might be overstepping, but how do you really feel about my brother, Yuri?" He asked and I bit my bottom lip, unable to answer the question out loud.

V stared at me for a few seconds but I couldn't say anything. With a small sigh, V added, "I'm assuming Victor never told you anything about his ex-husband. So if you'd like, I could answer any questions you have."

My lips pursed into a straight line, unsure. "Victor mentioned that you didn't like him..." I turned to face him hesitantly. "..Why?"

V nodded, answering my question right away. "He was a very...unique man. He wasn't a bad person, but there were a lot of things he and Victor didn't see eye to eye. I'm not so sure what their problems really were about but I could see Victor would get hurt every time, and that created the grudge I had against him.