T W E N T Y - F O U R

Mr. Nikiforov
chapter twenty-four// relationships

-
-
-
-
-

After leaving the grocery store I went back to the dorms and put away all the food before texting Yato so I could get his address. I was in the middle of eating a chocolate bar when my phone vibrated with a text from Yato.

It was only three in the afternoon, meaning I had a good three or four hours to spend before I should start heading over to Victor's place. I let Yato know I would be on my way and left the dorms once again, heading out to Phichit's car so I could head over to Yato's.

It wasn't a very long drive and I found myself pulling into the driveway of a small house. I decided it had a cute and warm vibe to it as I walked up to the front door, looking around for any sign of Yato living there. Of course, all I could do was text Yato I was outside and knock.

A few seconds after knocking, the door opened and my eyes met a pair of golden ones. I was afraid for a moment, thinking to myself I just knocked on the wrong door, but the guy in front of me simply raised a thin eyebrow and called over his shoulder, "Yato, there's someone in the front door for you."

His eyes returned to mine and he stepped aside, making way for me to come in. I smiled politely and went inside, unable to stop myself from glancing at my surroundings.

Yato came out from a hallway and his eyes widened a bit when he saw me a wide, clearly nervous smile spreading across his flushed face.

"H-hey Yuri, have you had anything to eat yet?"

"Oh, I just ate so I'm fine, thank you."

"Okay, well.." Yato glanced at the boy beside me for a second before pointing behind himself. "We could go up to my room--"

"If it's because of me, don't bother, I'm going out for a couple hours." The guy shrugged carelessly, reaching for the coat hanging behind him and raising a hand goodbye. "I'll be back later."

The door closed and I stood still, watching Yato relax a bit. I smiled warmly, trying to ease some of his nerves.

"What's got you so nervous?" I asked with a bit of teasing in my tone. Yato chuckled awkwardly and pointed at the living room.

"Is it so obvious?" I shook my head softly and went to take a seat, Yato sitting down as well but making sure there was some space between us. He took a deep breath and looked up at me.

"So. . .I've been wanting to have this conversation with you for a really long time." He started. His eyes adverting from my direction and instead focusing across the living room as if having second thoughts. "There's. . .someone I'm interested in and I'm not too sure where we stand."

My eyebrows raised in interest. "Oh? Why not ask them?" I asked cluelessly.

Yato tried to smile. "I've tried, but I can never bring myself to ask him." He whispered nervously, looking at me from the corner of his eye.

"Hmm. And what kind of relationship do you have at the moment?" Yato looked down at his hands and fiddled with his fingers a bit.

"We're friends." He nodded. "We've gone out before, but never without other mutual friends. I've tried so many times to ask him out on a date, but I always back down whenever he simply looks at me with such softness. . ."

I smiled, loving the way Yato seemed to radiate when talking about this guy. It made me happy to see someone I care about look so blissful. "Tell me more about this guy." I shot at him.

Yato blushed furiously and shook his head a bit. "I don't think you want to hear about it," he laughed but I nodded, insisting.

"I'd love to."