Chapter 2

I wake up to a loud alarm. I sit up and rub the exhaustion out of my eyes.

My room is small. It consists of a metal bed with white sheets, and a small corner filled with drawings.

My bare feet hit the freezing concrete floor causing a shiver to run up my spine. I stand on two shaky legs. My hospital gown sways at my knees.

The door of my room opens, startling me. Papa walks in, he wears his usual black suit. He smiles down at me.

"It's time, 010. Come with me," he extends his hand to me. I grab it. His hand is warm.

He walks me down an unfamiliar hall. He guides me into a room. Two women stand inside.

"Get her ready. Quickly," Papa commands them. He releases my hand and leaves the room.

"Come here, sweetie. We won't hurt you," the taller women beckons me over. She has long blonde hair and big brown eyes. She looks trustworthy.

The other women is short and just as beautiful. She has dark skin and round glasses that frame her bright blue eyes.

I walk over to them and sit in a small chair. They rummage through crates of fabric, while I silently sit and stare at my reflection.

After several minutes they set out a black t-shirt, dark wash jeans, and a leather jacket. She also grabs a black pair of sneakers and white socks. I look at the clothing awkwardly. I have only seen the lab assistants wearing clothing like this.

The blonde woman helps me into the clothes. I sit back down and look at myself. I look— different. The dark haired lady suddenly grabs my hair, she runs a brush through it.

Papa had let me grow my hair out last year, before then it was shaved. Now it barely brushes my shoulders.

I smile.

"You look beautiful," both of the girls say.

Papa walks in. I turn to see him. He grabs my arm and starts walking with me down the hall. We reach two glass door.

Outside. I'm going outside. I haven't been outside for years. I can't remember what it feels like to be outside.

Two men open the door for us. A warm, autumn breeze hits my face. I'm blinded by the sunlight streaming through tree branches. I stare in awe at the blue sky.

Papa tugs at my arm. I speed up, matching his long stride. He leads me to a black car. A man opens the door. Papa pushes me inside. He climbs in after me. The door shuts and the car starts rolling.

"010, I'm going to need your help. Something has been stolen from me, and I would like it back. What have I taught you about stealing?" Papa asks.

"Stealing is bad," Once I stole from Papa, he wasn't pleased.

"That's right. What happens to stealers?"

"They get punished," I stare blankly out the window. I remember my punishment. I still have the scare on my neck.

"Can you help me? Can you retrieve what has been stolen?"

"Yes," I stir in my seat, uncomfortable in the tight clothing.

"Good. I'll tell you what you need to do."

——

Jane and the boys hop off their bikes and lock them on the bike stand. A car drives up, they all recognize it as Billy's.

Jane perks up when she sees Max come out of the car. At first she was skeptical of Max, but after a while she was happy to have a friend that wasn't a boy.

She ran and gave Max a hug. Max had visited California over the summer, and Jane missed her a lot.

"How was your summer, Jane?" Max asks after 011 releases her.

"It was good, how was yours?" A smile spreads across Max's face.

"I learned a few new tricks on my skateboard! The skateparks in California are a lot better than the ones here, no offense," Jane laughed, she was always fascinated by Max's skateboard.

"You'll have to..." she never got to finish. A black car rides past them and they all looked over to see who it is.

A girl steps out of the car. She has shoulder length (h/c) hair, (e/c) eyes, and (s/c) skin. The car drove away as fast as it came.

-geekywriter15